Updated: 29 May 2015
The Bar Council and HAKAM are renewing the call to the Government to establish an Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (“IPCMC”) as was recommended by the Royal Commission to Enhance the Operation and Management of the Royal Malaysia Police in 2005.
In a collaborative initiative, the Bar Council Task Force on IPCMC and HAKAM are holding a public forum entitled “Rogue Cops: Workable Solutions — Police Accountability in Malaysia” on 30 May 2015. The forum aims to look into the statistics of cases involving police shooting, and deaths in police custody, in Malaysia; the measures taken — or lack thereof — by the Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission (“EAIC”) in addressing the situation; and the resulting need to set up IPCMC.
The Keynote Address is expected to be delivered by Tun Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah, Former Chief Justice of Malaysia; Former Chairman, Royal Commission to Enhance the Operation and Management of the Royal Malaysian police, and a panel discussion will follow.
List of Panelists:
- Tan Sri Zaman Khan Rahim Khan, Former Director General of Prisons, Malaysia; former police commissioner / Federal CID Chief
- Leong May Chan, Commissioner, Enforcement Agencies Integrity Commission (EAIC)
- Kuthubul Zaman Bukhari, Co-Chairperson, Bar Council Task Force on IPCMC
- Datuk Dr Denison Jayasooria, Secretary General, Society for the Promotion of Human Rights (PROHAM)
- Sharmini Darshini, Executive Director, Amnesty International Malaysia
- Dato’ Sri Sanjeevan R, Chairman, MyWatch
Moderator: Firdaus Husni, Member, Bar Council Task Force on IPCMC; Chairperson, Bar Council Constitutional Law Committee.
Dato’ Ambiga Sreenevasan, President, HAKAM and Former President, Bar Council, will deliver the Closing Remarks.
Date: Saturday, 30 May 2015
Time: 9.30am – 1.00pm
Venue: Raja Aziz Addruse Auditorium, Straits Trading Building, Unit 2-02A, 2nd Floor, 2 Leboh Pasar, 50050 Kuala Lumpur [Location map]
Backgrounders & Related Articles
- Bar Council and HAKAM renew calls for commission to probe police misconduct [29 May 2015]
- Ugutan rogol terhadap tahanan bukti polis tidak serius! – Suaram [22 Mei 2015]
- Police threatened to rape me and sell video, says May 1 rally detainee [12 May 2015]
- Don’t question me, IGP tells Bar Chief on claims of double standards [8 May 2015]
- Bar Council Press Release | Right to Peaceful Assembly Rendered Illusory by Arbitrary Arrests and Oppressive Remand Orders [7 May 2015]
- Why highlighting corruption seditious, watchdog questions May Day arrests [3 May 2015]
- Opposition leaders, activists detained 10 hours, questioned for 10 minutes [3 May 2015]
- HAKAM Statement: Arrest of HAKAM President & Others [2 May 2015]
- HAKAM Statement: Arrest of HAKAM President & Others [1 May 2015]
- College girl claims raped, extorted and blackmailed by cop [2 Feb 2015]
- Will IGP now support immediate IPCMC? [25 Oct 2014]
- Anything short of IPCMC is an eyewash [24 Sep 2014]
- Bar Council reiterates govt to establish IPCMC [16 Aug 2014]
- Almost a decade on, lawyers continue push for IPCMC [16 Aug 2014]
- BFM InFocus: No answers, no apology [4 Apr 2014]
- IPCMC perlu demi mengembalikan martabt dan kepercayaan awam terhadap pasukan keselamatan [31 Jul 2013]
- Police reject IPCMC, again [16 July 2013]
- ‘IPCMC would treat police worse than criminals’ [11 Jul 2013]
- Kementerian Dalam Negeri Kaji Cadangan Penubuhan Suruhanjaya Bebas Aduan & Salah Laku Polis [5 Jun 2013]
- Do we really need the IPCMC? ― Nicholas Chan [5 Jun 2013]
- Policing the Police
- MediaSelangorku – IPCMC
- Astro Awani – IPCMC
As it happens ….
[fts facebook id=833558710067556 type=event]
View more posts at our Facebook event page @ https://www.facebook.com/events/833558710067556/