New houses for Kelantan flood victims to be completed by June

Facebook
Facebook
Google+
http://hakam.org.my/wp/2015/10/28/new-houses-for-kelantan-flood-victims-to-be-completed-by-june/
SHARE

Source: The Malaysian Insider

A woman and her son look out from their tent at the flood relief centre in Bandar Utama Gua Musang in Kelantan in this photo taken last May. Some 12 families will continue to live in these tents, until next March. – The Malaysian Insider pic, October 28, 2015.

The Federal government has assured that the construction of 1,759 new permanent houses for flood victims in Kelantan will be completed between March and June next year.

Kelantan Federal Action Council chairman Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said the focus now is to complete building the houses that have not yet been completed. The government has managed to resolve several issues that delayed the construction of these houses, especially ownership of land for the site.

“The original promise was to complete the houses before the end of this year, we did not expect the land issue to be so complicated and now the question of land for the construction of these houses in all the affected districts have been completed,” he told reporters in Kota Baru, last night.

Mustapa, who is also the international trade and industry minister, said land reserved for the construction of these houses was mainly in Gua Musang and Kuala Krai involving land owned by the Federal government agencies, state government, and individuals.

He said to date from the 1,759 houses, the Federal government through the Public Works Department (PWD) has completed the construction of 142 houses while 301 houses were under construction and 218 houses were at the pre-construction level.

He said at the outset, an estimated 1,827 houses were destroyed by the floods which occurred in December last year, however, after a review, only 1,759 houses were destroyed and eligible to be replaced.

Pending the completion of the houses, victims who lost their homes were temporarily placed in transit homes.

About the 127 families still at the National Service Training Programme (NS) Camp at the Ethnobotany Park, Gua Musang, Mustapa said only 94 families were flood victims while the remaining 33 families were not.

He said the NS has allowed the 94 families to remain at the camp until March before moving to the RKB while the 33 families who are not flood victims have been asked to return to their respective homes.

Meanwhile, 12 flood victim families living in tents in Bandar Utama Gua Musang are expected to move into the houses at the latest by March. – Bernama, October 28, 2015.