KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 18 ― The High Court here today found that the sabotage charge against two critics of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) did not fall under the purview of the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA).
Judge Datuk Mohd Azman Husin said that the security law was passed without the intention to include cases on banking and financial services, and granted former Umno leader Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan and lawyer Matthias Chang bail at RM10,000 each with a single surety.
Khairudin’s lawyer, Mohd Haniff Khatri Abdulla, said that he expected the deputy public prosecutor to file an appeal but was glad for the decision today.
“What is most important right now is that both Datuk Khairuddin and Matthias Chang have been released today on bail,” he told reporters here.
On October 12, Khairuddin and Chang were jointly charged under Section 124L of the Penal Code, which was read together with Section 34, over the reports they lodged against 1MDB with authorities in France, Hong Kong, Singapore, the UK and Switzerland.
Khairuddin was detained since September 23 under anti-terrorism law SOSMA after a global tour to solicit investigations by other countries into 1MDB.
His lawyer Chang was detained later on October 8 under the same law.
MORE TO COME
- Khairuddin, Matthias out on bail, court rules Sosma not applicable [18 Nov 2015]
- Khairuddin, Mathias tiada kesalahan keselamatan, bebas diikat jamin [18 Nov 2015]
- Putrajaya enggan jawab alasan guna Sosma tahan Khairuddin, Matthias [4 Nov 2015]
- Ask Putrajaya about Sosma review committee, says Gani [4 Nov 2015]
- Gani Patail: Sosma introduced to deal with terrorism [3 Nov 2015]
- Respect the rule of law and release Khairuddin and Matthias Chang — Steven Thiru [15 Oct 2015]
- Khairuddin, Chang charged with sabotaging Malaysian economy [12 Oct 2015]
- The Police Must Not Misuse SOSMA, and Must Not Ignore the Solicitor-Client Relationship – Malaysian Bar Council [9 Oct 2015]
- Bar Council Malaysia appalled at Chang’s detention [8 Oct 2015]
- 38 NGO kecam penahanan Khairuddin bawah Sosma [7 Oct 2015]
- SOSMA Must Not be Misused to Silence Critics of 1MDB – Malaysian Bar Council [2 Oct 2015]
- Abuse of a ‘new’ crime? – Gurdial Singh Nijar [27 Sep 2015]
- KENYATAAN HAKAM: Berkenaan Penggunaan SOSMA & Penangkapan Kritik 1MDB [25 Sep 2015]
- HAKAM STATEMENT: On Use of SOSMA & Arrest of 1MDB Critic [25 Sep 2015]