KUALA LUMPUR: Community Communication Centre (Komas) programme coordinator and activist Lena Hendry was freed today by the Magistrate’s Court over a charge of screening an uncensored movie.
Magistrate Mohd Rehan Mohd Aris ruled that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case against Lena.
“Thus, the accused is acquitted and discharged,” he said.
She was charged on Sep 19, 2013, under Section 6(1)(b) of the Film Censorship Act 2002 for screening an uncensored film, “No Fire Zone: The Killing Fields of Sri Lanka”, at the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commmerce Hall in Jalan Maharajalela, Kuala Lumpur, at 9pm on July 3, 2013.
Speaking to reporters, Lena expressed her happiness over her acquittal.
“They (prosecution) should not have charged me in the first place for just screening a film,” she said.
She said prosecution of activists under laws such as the Sedition Act, Communications and Multimedia Act for their work on defending human rights should be stopped.
“Bringing us to court for our work on defending human rights makes us frustrated.
“Let us do our job the way we do it. Things like this should not happen to others,” Lena urged.
Last year, she failed to challenge the constitutionality of the Film Censorship Act.
The Federal Court ruled that a provision under the Act that made it an offence to screen movies before being approved by the censorship board, was constitutional.
- Malaysian human rights activist cleared three years after arrest for showing C4 Sri Lanka ‘Killing Fields’ film [11 Mar 2016]
- AI hails activist’s release, urges censorship law be scrapped [11 Mar 2016]
- Lena Hendry’s acquittal hailed, but rights defenders still face intimidation [11 Mar 2016]
- Activist acquitted of screening controversial Sri Lankan film [10 Mar 2016]
- Court acquits activist of screening Sri Lanka war documentary without approval [10 Mar 2016]
- Court sets Mar 10 to hear defence in Lena Hendry case [24 Feb 2016]
- Activist on trial for showing unapproved film slams Putrajaya for human rights hypocrisy [14 Dec 2015]
- Pembikin filem dunia bidas perbicaraan aktivis filem perang Sri Lanka [13 Dis 2015]