Cabinet halts intake of new foreign workers, says Zahid

Source: The Star Online

The Star Online filepic of migrant workers in Malaysia.

The Star Online filepic of migrant workers in Malaysia.

BAGAN DATOH: The Cabinet has decided to halt the recruitment of new foreign workers into the country, said Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

The Deputy Prime Minister said this also meant that the initial plan to bring in 1.5 million Bangladeshi workers was officially scrapped.

“There will not be one, let alone 1.5 million new foreign workers coming into our country.

“Employers who need workers will have to apply to legalise existing foreigners in the country without work permits or whose permits have expired,” he told reporters after handing letters of appointments to new village Chiefs in the Bagan Datoh parliamentary constituency.

Ahmad Zahid who is also Home Minister said employers had until June 30 to legalise such foreign workers. “The Government is bringing forward the deadline from Dec 31 because employers continuously ignore the chances given to then. Read more

The new slaves of Malaysia – C. R. Abrar

Source: The Star Online

BY C. R. ABRAR

News of reprehensible activities of cross border human traffickers has begun to resurface. Last Tuesday, the state news agency of Malaysia, Bernama, reported that in a raid in Taman Sungai Puyu in Penang, the police force rescued 27 Bangladeshi men who were victims of human trafficking.

The report also informs that three men, believed to be members of the trafficking syndicate, have also been apprehended. According to the local police, “The skinny and listless Bangladeshis aged between 20 and 40 were found in two houses that had been padlocked”.

Preliminary investigation revealed that the men had been locked up in the houses by the syndicate for the last two months, and were each given roti chanai a day and tap water to drink. Not surprisingly, they were subjected to torture if they tried to escape.

The most revealing part of the police account was: “All the foreigners are believed to have entered the country legally but the syndicate that had promised them jobs locked them up and intended to sell them off to their potential employers”.

The grisly exposure go on to enlighten that each of them were charged a certain fee to be brought into Malaysia, and they were sold off for RM 3,000 (Tk. 51,000) each to potential employers.

Read more