Activist avoids jail, fined RM10,000 for showing unapproved movie

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Lena Hendry arrives at the Magistrate Court in Kuala Lumpur for the decision on the film censorship case, February 21, 2017. ― Picture by Choo Choy Ma for the MMO.

Lena Hendry arrives at the Magistrate Court in Kuala Lumpur for the decision on the film censorship case, February 21, 2017. ― Picture by Choo Choy Ma for the MMO.

KUALA LUMPUR, March 22 ― Activist Lena Hendry was today penalised RM10,000 for screening a documentary on the Sri Lankan civil war that was not approved by the Film Censorship Board.

The was handed down in the magistrate’s court here by Mohd Rehan Mohd Aris, who last month found the Pusat Komas programme manager guilty of the charge under the Film Censorship Act 2002.

Lena had been liable for up to three years’ jail or a fine not exceeding RM30,000, under Section 6(1)(b) of the Film Censorship Act, 2002.

Her lawyer, New Sin Yew, said she will pay the fine today, before the 4pm deadline. Read more

Why Forestry took drastic actions

Source: Borneo Post

KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Forestry Department took drastric actions on the settlers at the Sungai Pinangah Forest Reserve in Tongod district after exhausting all means to bring encroachments under control.

Its director, Datuk Sam Mannan, said yesterday that from the outset, the Forestry Department had directed the settlers to leave the area due to its forest reserve status but this was totally ignored.

“Notices were issued and signboards put up. The Forestry Department did not receive support on its actions at most levels at that time.  If anything, the department was directed to stop its enforcement activities, and to acquiesce,” he said in a statement yesterday following allegation that the  Forestry Department had violated human rights by destroying illegal huts/sulaps inside the forest reserve on March 16.

Mannan disclosed that the forest reserve which is part of the large Sg Pinangah Forest Reserve that was gazetted on March 15,1965, which was in pristine (virgin) condition at that time.  The major part of the reserve had earlier on been licenced to Yayasan Sabah.

Large scale logging commenced in the 1970s by various licensees and was gradually phased out except for the Yayasan area, much of the remaining of which, is for reforestation, mosaic planting and total protection. Read more

Why Malaysia should ratify the UN Convention Against Torture — Eric Paulsen

Source: FMT News

The Convention prohibits torture under any circumstances including during a state of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, pic form FMT News.

The Convention prohibits torture under any circumstances including during a state of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, pic form FMT News.

On 10 December 1984, the same day Anglican bishop Desmond Tutu was honoured with the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-violent struggle against the apartheid regime in South Africa, the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT) was adopted by the UN General Assembly. Following ratification by 20 State Parties, CAT entered into force on 26 June 1987. Since then, an overwhelming majority of 161 State Parties have joined the Convention. As you might have guessed, Malaysia is not one of the State parties.

CAT is one of the first international treaties to globally address the issue of prevention of torture. The Convention prohibits torture – defined as the intentional infliction of severe mental or physical suffering for a specific purpose by a public official, who is directly or indirectly involved.

The objective of the Convention is to compel State Parties to emphatically prevent and criminalise acts of torture, and build instead a framework to cultivate respect for human rights. It compels State Parties to take ‘effective’ measures to prevent acts of torture in its territories and jurisdiction. It prohibits absolutely torture under any circumstances including during a state of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency. Further, ‘an order from a superior officer or a public authority’ cannot be used as a justification for torture. Read more

Suhakam to conduct field investigation

Source: Daily Express

Kota Kinabalu: The Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) will conduct a field investigation on the reported demolition of indigenous communities’ houses in Kg Bobotong, Tongod, by the Sabah Forestry Department.

The commission’s investigating officer of the case, Heflin Dino, said the investigation will be conducted based on Act 597 of the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia Act 1999 4(1) that clearly states its duty “to inquire into complaints regarding infringements of human rights referred to in Section 12” of the Act.

Pending the field investigation, Heflin appealed to all parties to remain calm.

“I do hope that the public would not fuel hate sentiments toward parties until we complete the investigation,” he told Daily Express, Monday.

More than 200 villagers of the village in Mukim Entilibon claimed to be living in fear after 16 out of 60 houses were demolished by the department on March 16.

They claimed to have been living in the village for 38 years. Read more

EC must protect the right of all overseas Malaysians to vote in GE-14 – Global Bersih Statement

Global Bersih is a non-profit organization established under the Swiss  Civil Code which aims to support Malaysian civil society’s efforts to
strengthen Malaysia’s maturing democracy using peaceful action, with  emphasis on the citizens’ right to a free and fair elections which is
ethical, impartial and transparent in all its stages of its  administration and implementation.

Global Bersih

Global Bersih

Press Statement

22 March 2017

The Electoral Commission must uphold the right of Malaysians overseas to vote in the upcoming General Elections (GE14) by taking all appropriate and necessary actions to enfranchise overseas Malaysians in accessing their right to vote, and to ensure a smooth process in registering overseas voters and implementing advance voting ballots for postal voters. There are approximately 1.4 million Malaysians living overseas (source: World Bank).

Under Section 2 of the Election (Registration of Electors) Regulations 2002, overseas Malaysians registered as an ‘ordinary elector’ must return to Malaysia to vote, whereas Malaysian students and civil servants based overseas can register as ‘absentee voters’ to be eligible for postal voting. However, this process enables only a portion of overseas Malaysians to participate in the elections process, as not many are able to afford the cost of travel. Furthermore, most embassies do not allow overseas Malaysians to register as ‘ordinary electors’ owing to lack of information and understanding. Read more

Siti Kasim gets death threats, branded ‘destroyer’ of Muslim faith after online interview

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Screenshot of the Police report as shared by Siti Kasim with the MMO.

Screenshot of the Police report as shared by Siti Kasim on her Facebook page.

KUALA LUMPUR, March 22 — Lawyer Siti Kasim has lodged a police report against Facebook users who threatened to decapitate her over her alleged remarks on God.

The human rights lawyer said the death threats came after a fundamentalist Malay-language portal, Menara.my, published an article titled “Melalui getaran, kita menghasilkan Tuhan — Siti Kasim” (Through vibrations, we create God — Siti Kasim) that she said had “manipulated” her interview with Chinese-language portal pocketimes.my.

“Many comments calling for my death. This guy messaged me and warned me,” Siti told Malay Mail Online today, referring to a Facebook user who said that she “deserved to be killed”.

She sent Malay Mail Online screenshots of other Facebook users who said things like, “If it were up to me, I would have chopped off this CT Kasim’s head already…traitor to the religion and destroyer of the faith of Muslims in these times”.

Siti said she lodged a police report here last Saturday. Read more

Domestic Violence Act to also protect male victims, says Minister

Source: The Star Online

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim, pic from the Star Online.

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim, pic from the Star Online.

KUALA LUMPUR: Amendments to the Domestic Violence Act 1994 (DVA) to be tabled before the current Parliament meeting ends next month will not be confined to protecting female victims, but will also include protection for male victims.

The Act is current being amended to give it more bite, said Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim.

However, there are activists who are concerned that the proposed amendments may only focus on female victims, she added.

“I can assure you the law will include protection for all genders and not only be confined to women,” she told reporters after launching the 1st Asia Pacific Ministerial Forum on the Management of Social Transformation at a hotel here on Wednesday.

”The amended law may be tabled in Parliament next week together with the Child Sexual Crime Act, and I will hold a press conference on the details then,” Rohani said. Read more

Laporan: AS sedia dakwa Jho Low

Source: FMT News

Sepasukan dari Jabatan Kehakiman AS sudah selesai menemuramah beberapa pihak di Singapura baru-baru ini, lapor WSJ. Pic dari FMT News.

Sepasukan dari Jabatan Kehakiman AS sudah selesai menemuramah beberapa pihak di Singapura baru-baru ini, lapor WSJ. Pic dari FMT News.

PETALING JAYA: Pihak berkuasa Amerika Syarikat (AS) dilaporkan bersedia mendakwa Low Taek Jho, atau Jho Low, jutawan rakyat Malaysia kelahiran Pulau Pinang yang dinamakan Jabatan Kehakiman AS (DOJ) tahun lalu dalam kertas siasatan salah guna wang 1MDB, lapor The Wall Street Journal (WSJ).

WSJ memetik sumber di Singapura berkata pasukan DOJ baru-baru ini selesai melakukan soal siasat di republik itu dalam persediaannya mendakwa Jho Low.

Pada 20 Julai, DoJ menerusi siasatannya mendapati lebih AS$3.5 bilion dilencongkan daripada dana 1MDB, syarikat milik Kementerian Kewangan yang diilhamkan Perdana Menteri Datuk Seri Najib Razak pada 2009.

DoJ memfailkan saman sivil di Los Angeles untuk merampas sejumlah AS$1.2 bilion aset yang dibeli dengan dana didakwa digelapkan daripada 1MDB dan dipindahkan ke AS menggunakan syarikat kosong, dan menamakan beberapa individu. Read more