KUALA LUMPUR: The case of a Malaysian in China who, along with her son, has been banned from leaving the Middle Kingdom since October 2015, will be handled according to local laws, says the Chinese embassy here.
“China practises the rule of law and everyone is equal before the law,” an embassy spokesman said when contacted yesterday.
Cheng Chau Yang’s plight was highlighted by Wanita MCA chief Datuk Heng Seai Kie at a press conference at Wisma MCA on Friday.
Both Cheng, 42, and her eight-year-old son, who live in Shanghai, are prohibited from leaving China following a Shanghai court order on the travel ban after a request by Cheng’s ex-husband, a Chinese national.
The ban is renewable every three months until the son turns 18.
Heng said that Cheng was “trapped and helpless yet she never gives up. She has tried to fight on her own since 2012 (after an abusive marriage).”
Heng stressed that she had full confidence in China’s legal system and that she had no intention to interfere with Chinese laws.
However, she believed that China’s senior leadership was unaware of Cheng’s case and so she hoped to bring the case to the attention of the top leaders in China and Malaysia.
She hoped they could empathise with Cheng and her son and free them from their psychological and mental distress.
At the press conference on Friday, a video titled “Trapped Behind the Invisible Great Wall” made by Cheng’s cousin, was screened.
Also present were Cheng’s sister and father.
They said Cheng’s former husband had abducted the boy, who holds Malaysian citizenship, in 2012 when he was three years old.
He returned the boy to Cheng a week later, only to take him away again in July 2013 from Shanghai when Cheng was away in Singapore for work.
Cheng filed for divorce in February 2014 and was granted sole custody of the child in December of that year. The former husband had weekly visitation rights.
She searched for her son and found him in October 2015 in Changchun city, living under a fake identity with her ex-husband’s elder sister.
Her former husband’s family tried again to snatch the child away in Shanghai in January last year.
Cheng’s efforts to have the travel ban lifted have been futile so far.