SIXTY-TWO cases have been filed at the special court for child sexual crimes from March till July 26, the Prime Minister’s Office today.
Minister Azalina Othman Said said 11 cases had been resolved, 25 had been mentioned, while 26 were still in trial.
She said the special court, in Putrajaya, had facilities such as court recording transcription (CRT) and audio-visual systems, as well as rooms for child witnesses.
“The infrastructure is vital in helping the proceedings in the court. It also ensures that trials and hearings proceed quickly and efficiently,” she said at the Dewan Rakyat today.Azalina was replying to Parit Sulong MP Noraini Ahmad, who asked for the number of child sexual abuse cases that had gone to trial, and if the special court for child sexual crimes had begun operating.
Azalina added that a Jusa C grade Sessions Court judge presided over the special court.
“The appointment of a high-grade judge is because these cases involve complex and cross-border legal issues,” the minister said.
On July 4, the court held its first case involving the rape of a 13-year-old girl, which was held in-camera to protect testifying witnesses.
The New Straits Times reported that 29-year-old food stall assistant Mohd Haziq Hussain was charged with raping the girl in a room at Lorong Hajjah Latipah in Segambut, Kuala Lumpur, ,about 8.30pm on Feb 15, 2015.
Two witnesses testified before the court and the trial will continue from August 7 to August 9 before judge Yong Zarida Sazali.
The court was launched by Prime Minister Najib Razak on June 22 as a part of the government’s efforts to combat child sexual crimes in the country.