Source: FMT News
PUTRAJAYA: A total of 14 cases under the new Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 have been solved over the past month, Chief Justice Raus Sharif said today.
He said 48 cases remained to be heard, with only three cases from last year.
“Among the 14 cases cleared eight of those were from 2016, and we have three remaining cases from 2016,” he told a press conference at the Palace of Justice here.
He said 26 cases, the highest number so far, was solved in Petaling Jaya courts, while Putrajaya had the lowest number with five cases.
Raus said the accused could appeal the courts’ decisions against them in the High Court within 14 days.
He added that it was important that such cases were handled quickly.
It was reported today that a bakery assistant became the first person to be charged under the new act. Read more
Source: FMT News
PUTRAJAYA: Chief Justice Md Raus Sharif today defended his reappointment as the country’s top judge, questioning why he should decline the position.
He said although the move was unprecedented, everything was done according to due process of law where the Yang di-Pertuan Agong has the power to appoint judges under the Federal Constitution.
“Of course there are conflicting views on this. As I said, lawyers always disagree,” he said.
“So it is nothing strange for lawyers to disagree on the interpretation of the constitution. It happens every day in court,” he told a press conference at the Palace of Justice here.
Raus was referring to the controversial extension of his tenure as chief justice, as well as that of Zulkefli Ahmad Makinudin as Court of Appeal president, by the government last month, by way of appointing them as additional judges of the Federal Court after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 66.
The Malaysian Bar announced on Thursday that it will file a suit to challenge their appointments as additional judges to remain in their posts. Read more
Source: FMT News
Jamil Khir Baharom
Pic drawn from FMT News
KUALA LUMPUR: The government has agreed to establish a special committee to empower shariah court and shariah law as a whole, in line with the status of Islam as the official religion of the federation as enshrined in the Federal Constitution.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Jamil Khir Baharom said the establishment of the special committee was approved by the cabinet at its meeting yesterday.
He said the initiative also proved the government’s continuous commitment to empowering the shariah court in a holistic manner for the benefit of the Muslims.
“The committee will be a credible platform to improve the existing shariah court’s judicial system,” he said in a statement here today. Read more
Source: The Malay Mail Online
Ragunath Kesavan said it was unnecessary to insist on a social boycott of the Chief Justice and Court of Appeal president.Pic by The Malay Mail Online.
The Malaysian Bar’s resolution to socially ostracise two top judges is relatively insignificant and unnecessary compared to its other moves to protest the duo’s allegedly unconstitutional appointments, said two former presidents.
Ragunath Kesavan, the Malaysian Bar president from 2009 to 2011, said such a social “boycott” would also affect other judges other than the actual targets, the Chief Justice and Court of Appeal president.
“My personal view is that it is unnecessary to insist on any form of a social boycott as although the boycott is only in relation to the CJ and PCA, any judge attending any function outside the judiciary would require the permission of the CJ.
“There are larger number of lawyers and judges now and the dissenting views within the judiciary is also welcomed and appreciated. It makes it very difficult for any judge to attend any function organised by the Bar,” he told Malay Mail Online when contacted yesterday. Read more