Lelaki fitnah kematian Adenan Satem ditangkap

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Setakat malam semalam 37 laporan polis dibuat terhadap beberapa pemegang akaun Facebook yang didakwa membuat posting atau komen berbaur fitnah kematian Tan Sri Adenan Satem. — Foto Reuters

Setakat malam semalam 37 laporan polis dibuat terhadap beberapa pemegang akaun Facebook yang didakwa membuat posting atau komen berbaur fitnah kematian Tan Sri Adenan Satem. — Foto Reuters

KUCHING, 13 Jan — Seorang lelaki berusia 36 tahun ditahan di Kuantan, Pahang berhubung posting dalam Facebook mengenai Ketua Menteri Sarawak Allahyarham Tan Sri Adenan Satem.

Ketua Jabatan Siasatan Jenayah Sarawak Datuk Dev Kumar berkata lelaki itu ditahan pada jam 5 petang semalam berikutan maklumat oleh Jabatan Siasatan Jenayah Sarawak.

Polis juga merampas telefon bimbitnya untuk siasatan.

“Sepasukan dari Jabatan Siasatan Jenayah Kuching akan berlepas ke Kuantan esok untuk mengiringi suspek balik,” kata beliau dalam satu kenyataan di sini semalam. Read more

Kuching man arrested over FB post on Adenan

Source: The Star Online

Pic form the Star Online.

Pic form the Star Online.

MIRI: Police have arrested a Facebook user over alleged defamatory and inflammatory statements made against the late Tan Sri Adenan Satem (pix).

Sarawak CID chief, Senior Asst Comm Datuk Dev Kumar, said the 54-year-old man was picked up at the RPR Landeh Kuching housing estate just after midnight Wednesday.

His mobile phone and other personal items were seized.

SAC Dev said that since the passing of Adenan, there have been several Facebook writers who have made postings on the late chief minister that were allegedly against the law.

“So far, 13 police reports have been lodged in eight police districts in Sarawak against four Facebook account holders.

“We have launched investigations into four of these postings,” he said. Read more

MCMC to continue probe into alleged insult of Agong

Source: The Malay Mail Online

HULU TERENGGANU, Dec 18 — The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) will continue its investigation on Mohd Faiz who reportedly insulted the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V through his Facebook page.

Communications and Multimedia Deputy Minister, Datuk Jailani Johari said although Mohd Faiz had apologised, the investigation against him must be carried out as the words used were believed to be defamatory.

“If we look at the newspapers, he has apologised but a complaint has been lodged against him over the matter and as usual, the investigation will proceed,” he said. Read more

Maria: Bersih suing TV3 over RM3.2b Soros funding claim

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Bersih 2.0's Maria Chin Abdullah said TV3 had made the defamatory claim “every day” on its prime-time slot Buletin Utama just before her group’s Bersih 5 rally.. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng

Bersih 2.0’s Maria Chin Abdullah said TV3 had made the defamatory claim “every day” on its prime-time slot Buletin Utama just before her group’s Bersih 5 rally.. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 8 — Electoral reform group Bersih 2.0 will sue broadcast station TV3 for defamation over allegations of RM3.2 billion funding by US billionaire George Soros, the group’s chairman Maria Chin Abdullah said today.

Maria said TV3 had run news reports on the claim without attributing the allegation to anyone.

“We have already put in a letter of demand and TV3 has refu

sed to apologise and retract, so we are proceeding with the legal case,” she told reporters here.

Maria said TV3 had made the defamatory claim “every day” on its prime-time slot Buletin Utama before her group’s Bersih 5 rally on November 19, adding that the broadcaster did not seek Bersih 2.0’s comments for the report. Read more

The right to criticise politicians – Gurdial Singh Nijar

Source: The Sun Daily

BY GURDIAL SINGH NIJAR
(Deputy President, HAKAM)

MEDIA stalwarts are enthused by a recent Court of Appeal decision on freedom to criticise politicians. Rightly so. A three-member panel made an important ruling: that a public figure must accept criticism of his conduct as a public official.

The court struck out the defamation suit brought by the mentri besar of Pahang against Utusan Malaysia for an article which, he complained, implied that he was useless as an MB as he had failed in his duties, used his political position to abuse critical media, and was a liability to his political party.

The article, ruled the court, expressed a critical view of the MB in his official and not personal capacity. It would be against the public interest if those exercising public functions were insulated from criticism. This would fetter freedom of speech. This was in the realm of political discussion of a public official – and the media could give their views without any threat of being sued. Read more

Pahang MB cannot use public office position to sue Utusan for defamation, court rules

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Istana Kehakiman / Palace of Justice ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

Istana Kehakiman / Palace of Justice ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

PUTRAJAYA, March 1 ― Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob cannot proceed with his defamation suit against newspaper publisher Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd in his capacity as a public official, the Court of Appeal ruled today.

Utusan Melayu’s lead counsel Datuk M. Reza Hassan said the court allowed the publisher’s bid to strike out the defamation suit and ordered Adnan to pay RM3,000 in costs.

He confirmed that today’s decision is considered a landmark ruling, which means media outfits are free to write critical reports against public officials if they do not include personal criticism.

“As far as we are aware, there are no similar cases locally,” Reza told reporters here after the decision by Datuk Rohana Yusuf, Tan Sri Idrus Harun, Datuk Mary Lim. Read more

Police, MCMC seize computer from The Star, record statement, says lawyer

Source: The Malaysian Insider

A report on the alleged transfer of a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) deputy public prosecutor sees The Star and Malaysiakini offices raided with police seizing computers today. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, November 9, 2015.

Police spent more than two hours at English daily, The Star’s headquarters in Petaling Jaya today to record a statement from journalist Nicholas Cheng over a report on the alleged transfer of a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) deputy public prosecutor.

The team arrived at Menara The Star in Phileo Damansara 2 at 1pm and left about 3.30pm to proceed to Malaysiakini’s office over the same matter. Read more