Villagers worry as barrier fails to keep floods away

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Chian (left) and Ong Jing Yan, 35, look at the barrier after it was completed last week. — Picture by Marcus Pheong, the Malay Mail Online.

Chian (left) and Ong Jing Yan, 35, look at the barrier after it was completed last week. — Picture by Marcus Pheong, the Malay Mail Online.

IPOH, Nov 14 — Villagers in Kuala Kurau, Kerian, about 110km from here, were distraught after the barrier they built near the river mouth failed to prevent sea water from overflowing during a king tide yesterday morning.

Food seller Chian Woei Yeong, 39, said the villagers were disappointed their efforts failed to prevent flooding.

“We thought the barrier we raised would stop water from overflowing during the king tide but our hopes were dashed when we saw the roads beside the river flooded,” he told Malay Mail yesterday.

“We were lucky no houses or shops were affected but we are worried about the next few days.”

Chian said the villagers were expecting a higher tide today and feared that this time, the water could reach their houses some 100m from the river.  Read more

Disaster management: How prepared are we? — Tay Tian Yan

Source: The Malay Mail Online

whatyouthink-new-logo_200_200_100NOVEMBER 1 — What can we do in the face of a major disaster?

This is a lesson Malaysians have to learn.

The water cuts in Selangor and the fire at JB’s Sultanah Aminah Hospital are different in nature, but they are all disasters.

When a disaster strikes, the first thing some people will do is to look for the scapegoat. For instance. Selangor Menteri Besar Azmin Ali asserted that the river pollution causing the water supply disruption was the work of Umno, without offering any evidence.

That was an act trying to avert public attention, and frustration. I’m not sure how people will actually believe in him, but even if there some, what can be done? Can that solve the problem of water source contamination?

Of course not. Moreover, this kind of things will keep happening in the future, and could get worse perhaps. Read more

Close to 8,000 in Sarawak flood relief centres

Source: The Malaysian Insider

The number of flood victims in Sarawak has risen to 7,931 comprising 2,033 families, compared to 5,769 from 1,527 families, last night.

Sarawak Civil Defence officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said the number of relief centres also been increased to 47, from 31 yesterday.

As of 6am today, the Kuching Division has opened 24 relief centres in Kuching district compared to eight last night, and nine in Bau district.

Seven relief centres remained open in Serian district and one in Padawan district, while six remained open in Kota Samarahan district.

Siti Huzaimah said weather had improved as of this morning, compared to the last three days. – Bernama, February 22, 2016.

Rumah untuk mangsa banjir Kampung Telekong dijangka siap akhir Januari

Sumber: The Malaysian Insider

Rumah kekal baharu untuk mangsa banjir yang dibina di Kampung Telekong, Kuala Krai dijangka dapat diduduki hujung bulan ini, kata Pengerusi Bersama Jawatankuasa Pasca Banjir Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed. – Gambar fail The Malaysian Insider, 2 Januari, 2016.

Rumah kekal baharu untuk mangsa banjir yang dibina di Kampung Telekong, Kuala Krai dijangka dapat diduduki hujung bulan ini, kata Pengerusi Bersama Jawatankuasa Pasca Banjir Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed. – Gambar fail The Malaysian Insider, 2 Januari, 2016.

Sebanyak 60 rumah kekal baharu (RKB) untuk mangsa banjir yang dibina di Kampung Telekong, Kuala Krai dijangka dapat diduduki hujung bulan ini, kata Pengerusi Bersama Jawatankuasa Pasca Banjir Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

Mustapa berkata rumah berkenaan yang dibina dengan peruntukan sebanyak RM10 juta daripada Lembaga Zakat Selangor di tanah seluas 4 hektar itu kini siap 80%.

“Kita sedang menyiapkan infrastruktur terutama jalan di kawasan perumahan berkenaan yang turut mempunyai sebuah masjid, sebuah dewan serbaguna serta 6 rumah kedai.

“Selain itu, rumah berkenaan akan dilengkapi dengan perabot seperti katil, tilam dan kerusi,” katanya selepas meninjau pembinaan rumah kekal baharu di Kampung Telekong hari ini. Read more

975 flood victims in Kuching, Samarahan evacuated as of noon

Source: The Malaysian Insider

Long Panai in Sarawak inundated with flood water in late November. – Bomba Facebook pic, January 1, 2016.

More people were evacuated in flood-hit Sarawak, raising the number of evacuees to 975 as of noon, from 523 in the morning.

Sarawak Department of Civil Defence public relations officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said the evacuees were being housed at two relief centres in Kuching and five centres in Samarahan.

“In the Kuching division, 60 people were at SMK Tabuan Jaya and 245 at the Stapok community hall.”

Siti Huzaimah said the relief centre at SMK Bako, which housed 78 evacuees in the morning, was closed at noon after the occupants left for their homes.

In Samarahan, 130 people were being accommodated at SK Tambirat, 62 at the Kampung Jaie community hall, 75 at the Samarahan community hall, eight at SK Hj Bujang Rangawan Putit and 395 at SK Bradek.

Samarahan Department of Civil Defence officer Ahmad Shah Fikri Darus said that though the number of evacuees in Samarahan had gone up, the floodwaters in the division were receding as rain had stopped. – Bernama, January 1, 2016.

Mixed emotions in Kelantan as monsoon season looms

Source: The Star Online

Many still scarred by floods of 2014

KUALA KRAI: The scars of last year’s devastation are everywhere. Houses are still caked with mud, shops stay closed – just as they were almost a year ago – and some damaged homes lie abandoned. The floods last year were very harsh on the people here.

The victims cannot bear to imagine what would happen if floodwaters were to rise once more as the monsoon season lashes the east coast again.

Md Nawi Hadi, 50, whose restaurant was under 12 feet of water last December, said he could not bear to even think about flood preparations.

“We have left it to Allah. We cannot think about it and have to accept fate,” said the owner of Kedai Makan Nawi along Jalan Guchil 1. Read more

Address illegal land clearing, locals tell Penang govt

Source: The Star Online

GEORGE TOWN, Nov 25 — Residents of Teluk Bahang and Sungai Ara hope the state government would take stern action against those who have destroyed Penang’s greenery.

Farmers in Teluk Bahang alleged that the illegal land clearing activities in Bukit Laksamana had caused mudslides and landslides, which frequently blocked the only access way to their farms. Read more

596 flood victims still in evacuation centres

Source: The SunDaily

KUALA SELANGOR: A total of 596 flood victims are still at six evacuation centres in the Kuala Selangor district since 10.30am today.

Kuala Selangor district officer Shamsul Shahril Badlisza Mohd Noor said 408, involving 75 families, were being accommodated at SK Parit Mahang.

The others are at the Kampung Bukit Kuching Community Hall (61 people), Kampung Bukit Cherakah Community Hall (35), Kampung Bukit Hijau Community Hall Hijau (34), Simpang Tiga Jeram mosque (29) and Tuan Mee Plantation (29), he told reporters here today. Read more

Over 50,000 on standby for flood relief operation

Source: The SunDaily

File picture shows an aerial view of houses and plantations being submerged in floodwaters in Pengkalan Chepa, near Kota Baru, Kelantan on December 28, 2014. — AFP pic

File picture shows an aerial view of houses and plantations being submerged in floodwaters in Pengkalan Chepa, near Kota Baru, Kelantan on December 28, 2014. — AFP pic

CYBERJAYA: A total of 50,112 relief personnel comprising those from the police, Fire and Rescue Department, Health Ministry and Malaysian Armed Forces, as well as 155,000 civil defence volunteers, will be deployed when floods hit the country with the onset of the north-east monsoon expected soon.

National Disaster Management Agency (APBN) director-general Datuk Zaitun Ab Samad said the agency will ensure that there are enough assets to be deployed at district level, with standard operating procedure to be implemented for relief efforts involving the relevant agencies.

“We are also integrating radio communication between the agencies expected to be involved so that we can disseminate the right information to the media and public promptly,” she said after visiting the National Disaster Command Centre (PKPB) in Pulau Meranti this afternoon.

Currently, she said, the agency has identified 5,112 relief centres with emergency stockpiles ready to be supplied from 565 forward-based stations, 56 mini depots and five main warehouses across the country. Read more

A-G: Although worst-hit, Kelantan, Terengganu not given priority in flood mitigation projects

Source: The Malay Mail Online

File picture shows an aerial view of houses and plantations being submerged in floodwaters in Pengkalan Chepa, near Kota Baru, Kelantan on December 28, 2014. — AFP pic

File picture shows an aerial view of houses and plantations being submerged in floodwaters in Pengkalan Chepa, near Kota Baru, Kelantan on December 28, 2014. — AFP pic

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 23 — East coast states such as Kelantan and Terengganu were not given priority in the RM3.35 billion Flood Mitigation Projects (FMP) by the Department Of Irrigation and Drainage, said the latest Auditor-General’s (A-G) Report 2014.

The Third Series of the report released today also said that there were components of the FMP worth more than RM6 million that were not utilised optimally, while some were just not well-maintained.

“Some states particularly in the east coast such as Kelantan and Terengganu were among the states with the largest flood area and highest average losses caused by flood.

“However, they were not given priority in the implementation of FMP,” said the report. Read more