After husband shot by cops, widow urges independent probe

Source: The Malay Mail Online 

PERAK 20-12-2017.An emotional R.Vaijentimala pleaded for justice, as Marimuthu’s shooting had placed her nine-month old daughter and herself in a desperate situation. MALAY MAIL/Farhan Najib

IPOH, Dec 20 — The widow of a man shot by Perak police in Air Kuning, Tapah last May urged today for an independent investigation into the shooting that killed her 41-year-old husband.

R. Vaijentimala, 41, wanted a murder investigation launched into what she believed to be the wrongful shooting of her husband M. Marimuthu on May 24 2017.

To this end, she lodged a police report at the Ipoh police district headquarters earlier today, accompanied by her family and her lawyers N.Surendran and Latheefa Koya.

Surendran said that the family’s questions were based around the trajectory of the bullets which entered Marimuthu’s body.

He claimed the official post-mortem report contradicted Perak police chief Datuk Hasnan Hassan’s account of the shooting.

“Hasnan was quoted in the press saying that the suspect exited his car and fired at police, who then retaliated by shooting him twice in the chest,” he told reporters outside police headquarters.

“However, the post mortem report states that one of the bullets entered his body at a downward 40 degrees angle.”  Read more

Malayan killings families lose UK Supreme Court appeal

Source: BBC News

Relatives of the dead men lost a case at the Court of Appeal last year

Relatives of 24 rubber plantation workers killed by British troops almost 70 years ago in Malaya have lost an appeal for an official investigation.

Five justices in the Supreme Court dismissed the challenge for an inquiry into the shootings at Batang Kali in 1948 by a four to one majority.

The families, who say the men were “massacred”, had their case rejected by the UK Court of Appeal last year.

British forces at the time of the killings said the men were insurgents.

In the Supreme Court panel’s judgement, one of the justices, Lord Kerr, described the case as “shocking” and said the “overwhelming preponderance of currently available evidence” showed “wholly innocent men were mercilessly murdered”.

He said it was “with regret” that he dismissed the appeal. Read more