Logging focus of debate on Karak landslide

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Persatuan Pelindung Khazanah Alam Malaysia (Peka) claims this photo of a tree stump proves that logging was the cause of the landslide. ― Malay Mail pic

Persatuan Pelindung Khazanah Alam Malaysia (Peka) claims this photo of a tree stump proves that logging was the cause of the landslide. ― Malay Mail pic

BENTONG, Nov 16 — The Karak Highway, closed since a landslide on Wednesday evening, officially opened to traffic again yesterday afternoon as the debate over whether logging was responsible for the disaster heats up.

Environmental group, Persatuan Pelindung Khazanah Alam Malaysia (Peka), which has been leading the charge against logging in the area, yesterday claimed to have evidence of what caused the landslide.

“Activists from Peka had been there the day after the landslide occurred and we have photographs of tree stumps which indicated logging activities were indeed present in the area. It is a shame the reporters can’t see it for themselves,” said its president, Puan Sri Shariffa Sabrina Syed Akil, after she and a group of journalist were refused entry into the disaster site by Forestry Department officers yesterday. Read more

Logging could be behind Karak landslide, minister says

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Workers survey an affected area before bringing in machinery to clear the logs and rocks. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

Workers survey an affected area before bringing in machinery to clear the logs and rocks. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 13 — The logs that washed out during the Karak Highway landslide indicates that excessive land clearing may have caused the disaster, Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof said.

Local daily The Star also reported Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof as saying that he could not confirm the cause behind Wednesday’s landslide without first speaking to the Pahang state government.

“I cannot confirm it’s logging,” he was quoted saying. Read more

Siasatan ambil masa dua minggu

Sumber: Utusan Online

BENTONG 12 Nov. – Kementerian Kerja Raya akan berbincang de­ngan kerajaan negeri bagi mencari punca sebenar kejadian banjir lumpur di Kilometer 52.5 Lebuhraya Kuala Lumpur-Karak semalam bagi memastikan kejadian itu tidak berulang.

Menterinya, Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof berkata, kerjasama itu bagi melihat secara menyeluruh berhubung kejadian itu termasuk kemungkinan berlaku aktiviti pene­bangan hutan yang tidak mengikut peraturan ditetapkan.

Menurutnya, siasatan tentang kejadian banjir lumpur itu dijangka mengambil masa kira-kira dua minggu memandangkan kawasan siasatan yang agak jauh dan berbukit.

Beliau yang tidak menolak kemungkinan terdapat aktiviti pene­bangan hutan, berharap tindakan tegas diambil jika terdapat kegiatan berkenaan yang tidak mengikut garis panduan ditetapkan di kawasan hutan berhampiran. Read more