Source: The Malay Mail Online
GEORGE TOWN, March 16 — An inquest into the death of M. Vasanthapiriya, 14, who was accused of stealing a teacher’s smartphone, will start on March 30.
Penang police chief Commissioner Datuk A. Thaiveegan said the Coroner’s Court today fixed the date for the inquest.
“The attorney-general has last month instructed that an inquest be held to reveal the circumstances surrounding the student’s death,” he said.
He said the Coroner’s Court is expected to call in more than 30 people to testify in the inquest.
The inquest is expected to be held at a Magistrates’ Court in George Town. Read more
Source: The Malaysian Insight
M. Vasanthapiriya, who was accused of stealing a teacher’s iPhone, died on February 1 after being in a coma for a week, following a suicide attempt over the accusation against her. – The Malaysian Insight pic, February 22, 2018.
SOME 30 people will testify in an open inquest into the death of Penang teenager M. Vasanthapiriya, who died after slipping into a coma following a suicide attempt, said police.
State police chief commissioner A. Thaiveegan said the Attorney-General’s Chambers had given the go-ahead for the inquest to be conducted.
He said they were now waiting for the dates to be set.
“It is going to be an open hearing. There are almost 30 witnesses.
“There may be more testifying, depending on how the hearing goes,” he told reporters after a dialogue with Indian teachers and students at the Southern Seberang Prai district police headquarters in Nibong Tebal today.
Vasanthapiriya, a student at SMK Methodist Nibong Tebal, had been accused of stealing her teacher’s iPhone last month – an allegation she had denied. Read more