Rumah kekal baharu untuk mangsa banjir yang dibina di Kampung Telekong, Kuala Krai dijangka dapat diduduki hujung bulan ini, kata Pengerusi Bersama Jawatankuasa Pasca Banjir Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed. – Gambar fail The Malaysian Insider, 2 Januari, 2016.
Sebanyak 60 rumah kekal baharu (RKB) untuk mangsa banjir yang dibina di Kampung Telekong, Kuala Krai dijangka dapat diduduki hujung bulan ini, kata Pengerusi Bersama Jawatankuasa Pasca Banjir Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.
Mustapa berkata rumah berkenaan yang dibina dengan peruntukan sebanyak RM10 juta daripada Lembaga Zakat Selangor di tanah seluas 4 hektar itu kini siap 80%.
“Kita sedang menyiapkan infrastruktur terutama jalan di kawasan perumahan berkenaan yang turut mempunyai sebuah masjid, sebuah dewan serbaguna serta 6 rumah kedai.
“Selain itu, rumah berkenaan akan dilengkapi dengan perabot seperti katil, tilam dan kerusi,” katanya selepas meninjau pembinaan rumah kekal baharu di Kampung Telekong hari ini. Read more →
Long Panai in Sarawak inundated with flood water in late November. – Bomba Facebook pic, January 1, 2016.
More people were evacuated in flood-hit Sarawak, raising the number of evacuees to 975 as of noon, from 523 in the morning.
Sarawak Department of Civil Defence public relations officer Siti Huzaimah Ibrahim said the evacuees were being housed at two relief centres in Kuching and five centres in Samarahan.
“In the Kuching division, 60 people were at SMK Tabuan Jaya and 245 at the Stapok community hall.”
Siti Huzaimah said the relief centre at SMK Bako, which housed 78 evacuees in the morning, was closed at noon after the occupants left for their homes.
In Samarahan, 130 people were being accommodated at SK Tambirat, 62 at the Kampung Jaie community hall, 75 at the Samarahan community hall, eight at SK Hj Bujang Rangawan Putit and 395 at SK Bradek.
Samarahan Department of Civil Defence officer Ahmad Shah Fikri Darus said that though the number of evacuees in Samarahan had gone up, the floodwaters in the division were receding as rain had stopped. – Bernama, January 1, 2016.
The National Disaster Management Agency is in charge of managing natural disasters in the country. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, December 31, 2015.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today announced the setting up of the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) to coordinate government agencies in tackling disasters.
Zahid said Nadma, which was operating for the first time in the current flood season, was not taking over the roles of the agencies, but was set up to ensure all assistance to flood victims were channelled more effectively and orderly.
“Nadma is set up not to take over the functions of the other agencies, such as the Malaysian Armed Forces, police, Malaysian Civil Defence Department, Fire and Rescue Department, Rela, Social Welfare Department, but to manage and coordinate efforts against disasters in the country.
“So, other agencies need not be stingy in lending boats or other assets because all that are being done is for the welfare of the people who are affected by disasters including floods,” he said.
He said this to reporters after an official visit to the flood relief centres at the Seberang Tayor, Air Puteh Felda Multi-purpose Hall in Kemaman, Terengganu. Read more →
KUALA KRAI: The scars of last year’s devastation are everywhere. Houses are still caked with mud, shops stay closed – just as they were almost a year ago – and some damaged homes lie abandoned. The floods last year were very harsh on the people here.
The victims cannot bear to imagine what would happen if floodwaters were to rise once more as the monsoon season lashes the east coast again.
Md Nawi Hadi, 50, whose restaurant was under 12 feet of water last December, said he could not bear to even think about flood preparations.
“We have left it to Allah. We cannot think about it and have to accept fate,” said the owner of Kedai Makan Nawi along Jalan Guchil 1. Read more →
File picture shows an aerial view of houses and plantations being submerged in floodwaters in Pengkalan Chepa, near Kota Baru, Kelantan on December 28, 2014. — AFP pic
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 23 — East coast states such as Kelantan and Terengganu were not given priority in the RM3.35 billion Flood Mitigation Projects (FMP) by the Department Of Irrigation and Drainage, said the latest Auditor-General’s (A-G) Report 2014.
The Third Series of the report released today also said that there were components of the FMP worth more than RM6 million that were not utilised optimally, while some were just not well-maintained.
“Some states particularly in the east coast such as Kelantan and Terengganu were among the states with the largest flood area and highest average losses caused by flood.
“However, they were not given priority in the implementation of FMP,” said the report. Read more →
BALING: The number of flood victims evacuated to relief centres in the district has risen to 608 people from 106 families.
There were 349 evacuees from 87 families on Friday.
Baling Social Welfare Department officer Syamsul Izrin Isahak said the victims were being housed in several community halls.
He said the Rakan Muda Complex sheltered the highest number of victims at 200 people, followed by Kampung Bawah Gunung (100), Baru Bongor Hall (90) Gua Reban Kindergarten (80), Banggol Derum Hall (76), Kampung Lahar Hall (57), and Charok Sikin Hall (five). Read more →
A picture of devastation in Manek Urai, Kelantan, after last year’s floods. The Social Welfare Department says 3,698 minor offenders will complete their social working hours imposed by court by helping flood victims this year. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, November 6, 2015.
The Social Welfare Department (JKM) will seek workforce from 3,698 minor offenders to assist this year’s flood victims.
Its community service division director Che Samsuzuki Che Noh said offenders will help local authorities to do volunteer work including to evacuate victims to relief centres during floods.
“This will help these minor offenders to complete their social working hours imposed by the court,” he said after officiating A Day with JKM programme in Kampung Kubang Keladi, Bachok, Kelantan yesterday.
A total of 17 minor offenders participated in the programme that focused on volunteer service by cleaning a mosque in the village. – Bernama, November 6, 2015.
PETALING JAYA: A more co-ordinated and efficient response to emergency situations is being prepared with placement of essential relief items at the United Nations Response Depot for natural disaster victims locally and across the region.
National Security Council (NSC) deputy secretary Ogu Salim Omar said the Civil Defence Department, Armed Forces, police and all relevant agencies were already preparing for the coming flood season. Read more →