Drug trafficking in Pahang on the rise

Source: Astro Awani 

The number of arrests due to drug trafficking in Pahang is on the rise with an increase of 37 cases or six per cent in the first six months of 2017 from 630 cases during the corresponding period last year.

Pahang police chief Datuk Rosli Ab Rahman said on the other hand, the number of drug possession in the first half had also increased by three per cent, namely 1,394 cases compared to 1,358 cases during the same period last year.

“A total of 37 people were picked up under the Dangerous Drugs (Special Preventive Measures) Act 1985 for the first six months of this year compared to 23 people during the same period last year,” he said here today. Read more

Report: Pahang mufti mulls public caning too if Kelantan succeeds

Source: The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 ― Pahang could also implement public caning for Shariah offences if it is shown to be effective in Kelantan.

Pahang mufti Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Osman said the state will observe how Kelantan enforces public caning on Shariah offenders first, news portal Malaysiakinireported today.

“We will discuss it first. Perhaps, in future, after observing the developments in Kelantan on whether it is effective or not, then perhaps it can be (implemented in Pahang).

“If it has a big impact and can stop Muslims from gambling and make them become better people,” he was quoted as saying. Read more

MB: Moratorium bauksit dilanjut sehingga PRU14 tamat

Sumber: FMT News

An excavator fills a lorry with bauxite at the stockpile area at Kuantan port in this file picture. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUANTAN: Tempoh moratorium aktiviti perlombongan bauksit di Kuantan yang sepatutnya berakhir 30 Jun ini, akan dilanjutkan sehingga selesai Pilihan Raya Umum ke-14 (PRU14), kata Menteri Besar Pahang, Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob.

Beliau menegaskan tindakan melanjutkan tempoh moratorium sehingga tamat PRU14 bukan “permainan politik” dan berharap masyarakat boleh melihat perkara itu daripada sudut lebih luas.

“Keputusan ini perlu ditetapkan kerajaan yang memerintah. Mandat yang kita ada ialah sehingga PRU dan selepas itu bergantung kepada kerajaan yang memerintah untuk buat keputusan. Sudah pasti kena tunggu PRU,” katanya kepada pemberita hari ini.

Beliau berkata, ketetapan itu dipersetujui bersama kerajaan negeri dan kerajaan persekutuan, memandangkan hal berkaitan bauksit bukan lagi “hak mutlak” kerajaan Pahang, ekoran isu pencemaran yang berbangkit sebelum ini. Read more

Villagers concerned with ‘return’ of bauxite mining in Kampung Jeram in Pahang

 

HAKAM Comment: What happened to the extended moratorium on bauxite mining of three months from the start of 2017 as announced by Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar in December 2016?

Source: The Malay Mail Online

An excavator fills a lorry with bauxite at the stockpile area at Kuantan port in this file picture. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

An excavator fills a lorry with bauxite at the stockpile area at Kuantan port in this file picture. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUANTAN, Feb 21 — The presence of two excavators in Kampung Jeram in Beserah here has left local residents in a quandary as they fear bauxite mining activities are taking place while the moratorium period is still on.

The People’s Movement to Stop Bauxite Pollution (Geram) chairman, Ali Akbar Othman said the villagers realised the existence of the machinery in the village yesterday evening and they were eager to get answers from the contractor today.

He said after discussing, the contractor claimed he received a letter of approval to load and clear the bauxite stockpile from the mine.

“However, a check at the site revealed several new digging sites. We also asked the contractor to show us the letter and permit which he claimed he had obtained but he said the documents are with the land owner.

“As such we want them to stop work and gave them until tomorrow to submit the documents to verify claims that approval from the authorities had been obtained,” he said when contacted here. Read more

The Kelantan floodgate: Part I — Isham Jalil

Source: NST Online

KOTA BHARU 28 MARCH 2016. ( FILE PIX 08 DECEMBER 2015 / KBE983C ) Kawasan pembalakan haram yang dirakam anggota penguatkuasa Jabatan Perhutanan Kelantan di Hutan Simpan Kekal Chiku, Gua Musang pada akhir tahun lepas. IHSAN JABATAN PERHUTANAN KELANTAN

KOTA BHARU 28 MARCH 2016. ( FILE PIX 08 DECEMBER 2015 / KBE983C ) Kawasan pembalakan haram yang dirakam anggota penguatkuasa Jabatan Perhutanan Kelantan di Hutan Simpan Kekal Chiku, Gua Musang pada akhir tahun lepas. IHSAN JABATAN PERHUTANAN KELANTAN

BY ISHAM JALIL

This is a story about the Kelantan flood; about how a natural disaster could have been mitigated by humans but wasn’t, and even worsened by them.

In 1990, Pas took over the Kelantan government from Barisan Nasional. Three years earlier, Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the then prime minister, had marginally defeated Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah in a bitter fight for the Umno president’s post. Tengku Razaleigh, still fresh with wounds from the fight, had his revenge in the 1990 general election when he and his newly formed party, Semangat 46, helped Pas defeat BN to win the state. Dr Mahathir had lost Kelantan to Pas and Tengku Razaleigh, and he was upset and angry.

Subsequently, throughout the 1990s under Dr Mahathir’s administration, the federal budget allocation to Kelantan was significantly cut. Between 1991 and 1995, under the 6th Malaysia Plan, less than one per cent of the RM116 billion federal development expenditure was allotted to Kelantan, the lowest allocation compared with all other states. This practice continued until 2003.

Consequently, there were very few development activities in Kelantan during the 1990s. Highways, roads and dams that were supposed to be built were cancelled. Economic growth was inhibited, and job availability was limited. As a result, there was a mass exodus of locals out of Kelantan during this period. Hundreds of thousands of Kelantan folk had to emigrate to find jobs. Currently, it is estimated that one in three of the 1.5 million Kelantan people live and work outside the state. If Dr Mahathir had intended to punish Pas and Tengku Razaleigh, the Kelantan people were collateral damage. Read more

Bauxite miners still waiting for word on procedures

Source: FMT News

Excavators and lorries scramble to clear the ore stockpile at Kuantan Port before the moratorium is implemented. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

Excavators and lorries scramble to clear the ore stockpile at Kuantan Port before the moratorium is implemented. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUANTAN: Bauxite mining operators and lorry drivers are still confused about the standard procedures to be used after a moratorium on mining and exporting the mineral ends on April 15.

They claimed not to have received any official information nor given a briefing on transporting bauxite.

They are said they were unclear about the use of Pakamatic or rubbish compactor lorries required for transporting bauxite, as announced by transport minister Liow Tiong Lai recently. Read more

Long-term damage hard to fix

Source: The Star Online

The backlogged bauxite stockpile seen at Kuantan Port. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 17, 2016.

PETALING JAYA, 17 Feb 2016: While Kuantan may be seeing some improvement to its environment following the moratorium against bauxite mining, academics say the long-term damage may be much harder to fix.

United Nations University research fellow Prof Dr Jamal Hisham Hashim said unless the mining areas were rehabilitated, a temporary ban on bauxite mining would not be enough to fix things.

He said rehabilitation meant measures like refilling mines and repairing damage to roads and neighbourhoods near mines.

“Rehabilitation isn’t likely, especially not by illegal miners. They can leave it to the land owners to clean up the mess,” he said, during a forum on sustainable bauxite mining at University Malaya here on Tuesday. Read more

Bauxite mining polluting Pahang’s drinking water, scientist warns

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Unregulated bauxite mining in Pahang had caused severe environmental pollution and raised concerns over the health of those living in affected areas. — Bernama pic

Unregulated bauxite mining in Pahang had caused severe environmental pollution and raised concerns over the health of those living in affected areas. — Bernama pic

PETALING JAYA, Feb 17 — Poor practises in bauxite mining in Pahang have exposed the people in the affected areas to various health threats, say scientists and academics studying the issue.

Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Assoc Prof Dr Maketab Mohamed said the mining had contaminated the people’s drinking water with heavy metals, which were dangerous to consume.

“Almost all the water for consumption in Kuantan is drawn downstream from the mines.

“The full impact of this is not appreciated as water samples drawn for testing by the Department of Environment were not from rivers used for drinking water,” he said.

Speaking at a forum on bauxite mining organised by Malaysian Academy of Science and University Malaya yesterday, Maketab warned that a rash of severe health conditions could break out.   Read more

Bauxite in Malaysia: The environmental cost of mining

Source: BBC

Bauxite mining has become a controversial political issue in Malaysia. As the government implements a temporary ban on extracting the aluminium ore, BBC South-East Asia correspondent Jonathan Head visits the most-affected area.

Amid the monotonous dark green lines of Malaysia’s endless palm oil plantations, there are now vivid red gashes in the hills behind the east coast town of Kuantan.

These have appeared only in the past 18 months, as a frenzy of open-cast bauxite mining gripped Pahang province.

Tonnes of bauxite are being transported out of the region. It is the world’s main source of aluminium so is vital for the construction of everything from airplanes to saucepans and cooking foil.

The numbers are staggering. Read more

Moratorium on bauxite activities in Kuantan kicks in without a hitch

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Excavators and lorries scramble to clear the ore stockpile at Kuantan Port before the moratorium is implemented. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

Excavators and lorries scramble to clear the ore stockpile at Kuantan Port before the moratorium is implemented. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUANTAN, Jan 16 — The three-month moratorium for bauxite activities went into effect as planned at midnight with enforcement personnel keeping a close watch for anyone who did not adhere to it.

Checks by Malay Mail at several checkpoints, including at Bukit Pengorak, Kampung Padang and the Sirim building in Gebeng, found the roads devoid of traffic.

Among the personnel stationed were police, Road and Transport Department officers and Rela members.

“We didn’t expect trouble as the miners know we mean business,” said a policeman with a submachine gun slung on his shoulder. Read more