Malaysian students lead mass protest demanding 1MDB arrest

Source: Asiancorrespondent

A Malaysian Muslim woman holds up a placard translating "Capture M.O.1" during a rally calling for the arrest of Prime Minister Najib Razak in Kuala Lumpur. Pic: AP.

A Malaysian Muslim woman holds up a placard translating “Capture M.O.1” during a rally calling for the arrest of Prime Minister Najib Razak in Kuala Lumpur. Pic: AP.

NEARLY a thousand Malaysians led by student protesters took to the streets of Kuala Lumpur yesterday to demand action against an unnamed official at the center of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) controversy.

The official known only as “Malaysian Official 1” or “MO1” for short was named in a U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) lawsuit filed last month to seize more than $1 billion (RM4 billion) in assets allegedly bought with money siphoned from 1MDB, a state-owned firm.

The DOJ has not expressly confirmed the identity of “MO1” but the country’s opposition leaders and anti-government dissidents insist that it refers to Prime Minister Najib Razak, who oversees the fund.

Unhappy with the prime minister’s repeated denial of his alleged involvement in the scandal, student leaders rallied yesterday to pressure the authorities into taking action against the leader.

During the afternoon gathering, the group of protesters led by student representative Anis Syafiqah Md Yusof defied police orders and marched towards Dataran Merdeka or “independence square” all the while chanting “catch MO1”. Read more

#TangkapMO1 KL rally ends peacefully

Source: The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: The #TangkapMalaysianOfficial1 rally ended peacefully after a crowd of protesters gathered in the vicinity of Dataran Merdeka for over two hours.

Chants of “tangkap”, “Hidup Hidup, Hidup Rakyat” and even “Bebaskan Anwar” were heard throughout the street protest as demonstrators, clad in black and white, began marching from the Sogo shopping complex and the National Mosque from 2pm yesterday.

The protesters started to disperse at about 4.40pm.

Protesters were seen carrying banners with the words “Tangkap MO1” (Catch Malaysian Official 1) and Pokemon-ish posters saying “1MDB – Gotta Catch’em All”. Read more

We will protest until justice is served, #TangkapMO1 rally-goers say

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Protesters gather outside the Sogo Shopping Complex during a #TangkapMO1 rally in Kuala Lumpur August 27, 2016. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa

Protesters gather outside the Sogo Shopping Complex during a #TangkapMO1 rally in Kuala Lumpur August 27, 2016. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 27 ― Youths, mainly college and university undergraduates at the #TangkapMO1 rally today vowed to remain persistent in what they called pursuit for justice amid the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal.

Several students polled by Malay Mail Online today at the sidelines of the rally said they will not hesitate to take their frustration to the streets again should no action be taken against the so-called “Malaysian Official 1”.

Electrical engineering undergraduate Sharan Raj, 23, said the most important point of the rally today was to let the authorities feel the pressure from the public, especially the students.

“Malaysian authorities would have felt the pressure by now. Whether they arrest MO1 or not is another question, but this will raise more awareness.

“We will not stop until justice is served,” the final year degree student told Malay Mail Online. Read more

We are here because ‘you’ didn’t do anything, says Tangkap organiser

Source: The Star Online

A police barricade on the way to Dataran Merdeka. Pic taken from The Star Online

A police barricade on the way to Dataran Merdeka. Pic taken from The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: The “Tangkap Malaysian Official 1” rally ended without any major incidents near Dataran Merdeka here.

The protesters, who had earlier marched from Masjid Negara and Sogo to Dataran Merdeka, started to disperse at about 4.40pm.

A strong police presence guarding Dataran Merdeka was still visible, as some protesters remained in the area.

Rally spokesperson Anis Syafiqah Mohd Yusof said the youths would not have to resort to street protests if Malaysians had stood their ground 20 years ago.

“If we, who don’t have anything to lose, don’t voice out this issue, who else is going to do it?

“Who else is going to do what it takes to have the Malaysian Official No1 arrested,” she told the rally adding that Malaysian authorities should be grateful to the people.

“If the youths of 20 years ago had done something, things would be different today, we wouldn’t be here today.

“I am not here only for my future, but for the whole of Malaysia,” she said.

The protesters included several opposition leaders, activists and students.

Malaysia, stop penalising peaceful assembly and dissent — Amnesty International

Source: The Malay Mail Online

BY AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

AUGUST 26 — Amnesty International calls on the Malaysian authorities to stop the harassment of rally organisers and other activists, and to drop investigations against three students who were detained solely for promoting the #TangkapMalaysian Official1 (Arrest Malaysian Official 1) rally, scheduled for 27 August.

On Saturday 20 August 2016, the three students were arrested and subsequently detained for three days for entering a public university in the state of Ipoh, Perak to promote a rally calling for the arrest of an individual named as ‘Malaysian Official 1,’ who was named in a lawsuit filed by the United States Department of Justice. The civil suit alleges that ‘Malaysian Offical1’ and others used an investment firm owned by the Malaysian government to steal more than RM1 billion (US$250 million US) which had been earmarked for the country’s economic development.

The three students — Ashraf Nazrin, Luqman Hakim Zulrazali, and Luqman Hakim Fadzli — were arrested on 20 August, under section 9(5) of the Peaceful Assembly Act, for failing to notify the Officer in Charge of the Police district in which the assembly was to be held. They were also investigated under section 447 of the Penal Code, for trespass. Pursuant to a remand hearing, which took place that day at which they had no legal representation, they were detained until 22 August, when they were released on police bail. The students had in fact met with police on 16 August, four days before they were arrested, to discuss the planned rally. Read more

Ambiga hails ruling against govt over Bersih 3 protest

Source: FMT News

Former Bersih 2.0 chairperson says Court of Appeal gave a landmark decision by dismissing govt suit claiming compensation for property damage following Bersih 3. Pic taken from FMT News.

Former Bersih 2.0 chairperson says Court of Appeal gave a landmark decision by dismissing govt suit claiming compensation for property damage following Bersih 3. Pic taken from FMT News.

PUTRAJAYA: Ambiga Sreenevasan today hailed the Court of Appeal’s decision to dismiss the government’s suit to claim for damages incurred during the Bersih 3 rally as a landmark ruling.

“It is definitely a landmark ruling, with the court’s decision also maintaining that no suit can be brought under the PAA (Peaceful Assembly Act) for damages,” the former Bersih 2.0 chairperson said, adding the 2015 High Court judgment was “largely upheld”.

Earlier today, the Court of Appeal panel, led by Justice Rohana Yusof, unanimously ruled in the electoral watchdog group’s favour, dismissing the appeal by the government to seek for damages over property damage during the Bersih 3 rally in 2012.

Previously, the High Court had thrown out the government’s lawsuit seeking RM110,543 in special damages to repair police cars that were damaged during the rally and other cost.

Meanwhile, current Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah also welcomed the court’s decision. Read more

Feb 24 decision on Tian Chua’s sedition charge

Source: The Rakyat Post

Batu MP Tian Chua (second from left) together his counsel New Sin Yew (second right) outside the courtroom today. — TRP pic by Han Kar Kay

Batu MP Tian Chua (second from left) together his counsel New Sin Yew (second right) outside the courtroom today. — TRP pic by Han Kar Kay

Parts of the speech delivered by Batu MP Tian Chua during a public forum at the Selangor Assembly Hall after the 13th general elections did not procure the alteration of the government, the Sessions Court heard today.

Defence counsel New Sin Yew, who is representing Tian Chua, in his written submission, argued that the PKR leader’s speech did not mention about any change of the government.

“The prosecution witnesses during cross-examination also agreed that the accused’s speech did not invite citizens to challenge the results of the elections by going to the streets or touch on anything to deny the results of GE13, among others.

“The accused only mentioned ‘turun ke jalan raya’ and nothing more. However, ‘turun ke jalan raya’ does not necessarily lead to a public assembly.

“Even if ‘turun ke jalan raya’ means having a public assembly (which is denied by the defence), there is nothing unlawful about having a public assembly because the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA) 2012 guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peacefully and without arms,” he told the court this morning.

Read more

Nik Nazmi didakwa bawah akta sama untuk kali ketiga

Sumber: The Malaysian Insider

Adun Seri Setia Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad didakwa buat kali ketiga mengikut pertuduhan sama di Mahkamah Sesyen Petaling Jaya, hari ini. – Gambar The Malaysian Insider oleh Afif Abd Halim, 6 Oktober, 2015.

Ahli Dewan Undangan Negeri (Adun) Seri Setia Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad didakwa buat kali ketiga mengikut pertuduhan yang sama kerana pelanggaran Akta Perhimpunan Aman (PAA) 2012 di Mahkamah Seksyen Petaling Jaya, hari ini.

Exco pendidikan Selangor itu didakwa semula mengikut Seksyen 9(5) PAA kerana gagal memberi notis kepada polis daerah dalam tempoh 10 hari yang diperlukan bagi penganjuran perhimpunan ‘Black 505’ di Stadium Kelana Jaya pada 8 Mei, 2013.

Ia susulan keputusan dramatik Mahkamah Rayuan mendenda Setiausaha PKR Johor R Yuneswaran sebanyak RM6,000 kerana gagal memberi notis dalam tempoh 10 hari bagi penganjuran Black 505 tersebut.

Peguam Shahredzan Johan yang mewakilinya mempersoalkan dakwaan kali ketiga anak guamnya itu yang menurutnya tidak mengikut perlembagaan.

“Mengikut Artikel 7(2) suspek yang didakwa tidak boleh disabitkan semula untuk pertuduhan sama.

“Ia seperti ‘double jeopardy’ atau pendakwaan berulang kali,” katanya kepada pemberita di luar bilik Mahkamah Seksyen Petaling Jaya. Read more

Peaceful assembly should be accepted as a ‘new norm’ among Malaysians: Saifuddin

Source: The Sun Daily

PETALING JAYA: Peaceful assembly should be accepted as a ‘new norm’ among Malaysians, said Global Movement of Moderation (GMM) CEO Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah.

He said that peaceful assembly is part of the democracy practice, and dissent against the government is also part of the practice.

“It is about time the public know that dissent against the government is not equal to treason,” he added.

The former Umno deputy minister said that many were of the notion that if people speak up, have different opinion, or oppose an opinion, they are going against the country.

“Even before Peaceful Assembly Act was gazetted, people should understand that peaceful assembly were allowed,” he said, adding that there were guidelines drawn by the Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam).

Saifuddin added that any organisation with a clear objective, can organise peaceful assembly or rally. Read more