Saya gali kubur kawan saya, kata mangsa kem transit Wang Kelian

Sumber: The Malaysian Insider

Forensic investigators document graves of human-trafficking victims near the Thai-Malaysian border in Perlis. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Hasnoor Hussain, May 27, 2015.

Forensic investigators document graves of human-trafficking victims near the Thai-Malaysian border in Perlis. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Hasnoor Hussain, May 27, 2015.

“Walaupun sudah lebih setahun, tetapi bagi saya ia seperti baru berlaku semalam apabila saya menggali kubur, memandikan dan mengebumikan jenazahnya,” kata Mohamad Toha Naziullah, mangsa kem transit pemerdagangan manusia di Bukit Wang Burma, Wang Kelian dekat Alor Star, tentang rakan karibnya.

Pemuda Rohingya berusia 23 tahun itu masih teringatkan nasib yang menimpa rakannya dikenali sebagai Yunus yang menjadi mangsa kepada kekejaman pengawal-pengawal di kem transit terbabit.

“Saya dan Yunus ditempatkan dalam kandang yang sama dan disebabkan umur kami yang hampir sama, kami rapat dan berjanji untuk menjaga satu sama lain daripada apa-apa bahaya ketika ditahan di kem itu,” katanya dalam temuramah eksklusif dengan Bernama hari ini. Read more

‘I just wanted to die,’ says human trafficking victim

Source: Malaysiakini

Mkin-PDRM-pic“There was only one thing on my mind – death. I wanted to die because dying would be easier than living,” said a Rohingya migrant who managed to escape from the transit camp in Wang Kelian.

Speaking exclusively to Bernama in Alor Setar yesterday, Nurul Amin Nobi Hussein, 25, said during the two months he was held at the transit camp in Wang Kelian last year, he lost all hope of surviving and only thought of death.

“I was locked up in a cage like the goats and chickens, and all the time, I was surrounded by death. Each day, five or six of us would die, either from illness or were beaten up and shot,” he said. Read more

Bar Council and HAKAM renew calls for commission to probe police misconduct

Source: adapted from The Malaysian Insider

Bar Council president Steven Thiru and co-chair of the Council's task force on IPCMC & HAKAM Exco member, M. Ramachelvam, speak to reporters in Kuala Lumpur today, announcing renewed campaign to establish a free commission to probe police misconduct. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Kamal Ariffin, May 28, 2015

Bar Council president Steven Thiru and co-chair of the Council’s task force on IPCMC & HAKAM Exco member, M. Ramachelvam, speak to reporters in Kuala Lumpur today, announcing renewed campaign to establish a free commission to probe police misconduct. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Kamal Ariffin, May 28, 2015

The Bar Council together with the National Human Rights Society (Hakam) are renewing calls for the implementation of the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) as recommended by a royal commission of inquiry some 10 years ago.

Council chairman Steven Thiru said that in view of Putrajaya’s refusal to set up the IPCMC, the Bar and Hakam are organising a public forum this Saturday, 30 May 2015, to continue pushing for its implementation.

“It has been 10 years since the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Police Reform headed by former chief justice Tun Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah recommended that the IPCMC be set up, and we have been on a nationwide roadshow to call for this again,” he told reporters at the Bar Council headquarters in Kuala Lumpur today.

The forum is being organised by the Bar Council Task Force on the IPCMC, whose co-chair, M. Ramachelvam, who is also a HAKAM Exco member, pointed out that Putrajaya had instead set up the Enforcement Agencies Integrity Commission (EAIC). Read more