Death camps: Post-mortem reveals no foul play

Source: The Star Online

KANGAR, JUNE 12: No element of foul play was found in the post-mortem conducted on 26 human skeletal remains found at the death camps in Wang Kelian.

Police state police chief Senior Asst Comm (SAC) Shafie Ismail said the deaths been classified as sudden death.

SAC Shafie added that the 26 were identified to be all male and between the ages of 17 and above 60. Read more

For Kelantan flood victims, home is where the hard life is

Source: The Malay Mail Online

The villagers hope that water and electricity supply will not be cut. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

The villagers hope that water and electricity supply will not be cut. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

GUA MUSANG, June 13 — Disillusioned by promises of new homes by Ramadan, villagers who are still living in tents have given up hope of celebrating Hari Raya joyfully.

Life in the tents is tough. They were previously told the weatherproof Shelterbox tents distributed by the National Security Council (NSC) would only last about six months with proper care.

Uncertain how much longer they have to live like this, the villagers are making arrangements to cater for the holy month on their own. Read more

Months on, flood victims wait in frustration for promised aid

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Much of Manek Urai Lama remains in ruins today. Residents say of 86 homes deemed a total loss, only 20 owners had received aid. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

Much of Manek Urai Lama remains in ruins today. Residents say of 86 homes deemed a total loss, only 20 owners had received aid. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali

KUALA KRAI, June 13 — The villagers of Manek Urai Lama are finding it difficult to obtain government aid to rebuild their homes.

Whether they have land grants or not, they claim you can only get aid if you know the “right people”.

Retiree Che Jah Che Deris, 69, who lives with her husband and two children, is one of those who have not received the aid. Read more