Housing for Kelantan flood victims delayed due to refusal to be relocated, says state official

Facebook
Facebook
Google+
https://hakam.org.my/wp/2015/11/01/housing-for-kelantan-flood-victims-delayed-due-to-refusal-to-be-relocated-says-state-official/
SHARE

Source: The Malaysian Insider

A photo taken in Manik Urai, one of the worst hit areas in Kelantan from the floods that inundated parts of the east coast state in January this year. Many families remain homeless, staying in temporary shelters and tents until now.– The Malaysian Insider file pic, November 1, 2015.

The refusal of flood victims to be relocated to a new settlement provided by the Federal and state government is among the reasons for the delay in the construction of permanent homes for them.

State local government, housing, youth and sports committee chairman Datuk Abdul Fattah Mahmood said, so far, only about 300 of the victims had agreed to be relocated to new settlements provided by the government.

“The others do not want to be relocated for fear of losing their source of income,” he told reporters after the Kelantan Post Flood Coordination Committee meeting in Kota Baru today.

The meeting was also attended by International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed, who is Kelantan Federal Action Council chairman; Kelantan Federal Development director Datuk Makhtar Mustapha, head of the Post Flood Rehabilitation Unit at the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Nik Ali Mat Yunus, and Kelantan Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob.

Meanwhile, Mustapa said due to the problem, construction of permanent homes for the flood victims could only be resolved by March next year.

He said work on 183 of the permanent homes by the Federal government was ready and 822 others were currently under construction.

“The state government has built 177 of the 636 houses it promised,” he added. – Bernama, November 1, 2015.