We will protest until justice is served, #TangkapMO1 rally-goers say

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Protesters gather outside the Sogo Shopping Complex during a #TangkapMO1 rally in Kuala Lumpur August 27, 2016. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa

Protesters gather outside the Sogo Shopping Complex during a #TangkapMO1 rally in Kuala Lumpur August 27, 2016. — Picture by Mohd Yusof Mat Isa

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 27 ― Youths, mainly college and university undergraduates at the #TangkapMO1 rally today vowed to remain persistent in what they called pursuit for justice amid the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal.

Several students polled by Malay Mail Online today at the sidelines of the rally said they will not hesitate to take their frustration to the streets again should no action be taken against the so-called “Malaysian Official 1”.

Electrical engineering undergraduate Sharan Raj, 23, said the most important point of the rally today was to let the authorities feel the pressure from the public, especially the students.

“Malaysian authorities would have felt the pressure by now. Whether they arrest MO1 or not is another question, but this will raise more awareness.

“We will not stop until justice is served,” the final year degree student told Malay Mail Online. Read more

We are here because ‘you’ didn’t do anything, says Tangkap organiser

Source: The Star Online

A police barricade on the way to Dataran Merdeka. Pic taken from The Star Online

A police barricade on the way to Dataran Merdeka. Pic taken from The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: The “Tangkap Malaysian Official 1” rally ended without any major incidents near Dataran Merdeka here.

The protesters, who had earlier marched from Masjid Negara and Sogo to Dataran Merdeka, started to disperse at about 4.40pm.

A strong police presence guarding Dataran Merdeka was still visible, as some protesters remained in the area.

Rally spokesperson Anis Syafiqah Mohd Yusof said the youths would not have to resort to street protests if Malaysians had stood their ground 20 years ago.

“If we, who don’t have anything to lose, don’t voice out this issue, who else is going to do it?

“Who else is going to do what it takes to have the Malaysian Official No1 arrested,” she told the rally adding that Malaysian authorities should be grateful to the people.

“If the youths of 20 years ago had done something, things would be different today, we wouldn’t be here today.

“I am not here only for my future, but for the whole of Malaysia,” she said.

The protesters included several opposition leaders, activists and students.

Divorce law reform leaves Hindu moms in custody row with mixed feelings

Source: The Malay Mail Online

M. Indira Gandhi (left) and S. Deepa are the focus of custody battles involving their former husbands who are Muslim converts. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 23, 2016.

M. Indira Gandhi (left) and S. Deepa are the focus of custody battles involving their former husbands who are Muslim converts. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 23, 2016.

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 27 — Hindu mothers S. Deepa and M. Indira Gandhi have reportedly expressed mixed feelings over the recently announced amendments to the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976 by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

In a report by The Star Online, S. Deepa applauded the move but M. Indira Gandhi expressed her doubts, with both embroiled in lengthy legal battles over their children’s custody following their ex-husbands’ conversion into Islam.

“My prayers have finally been answered,” Deepa, currently a waitress, told the portal.

The 32-year-old woman, whose ex-husband unilaterally converted their two children into Islam, said she was happy that others would receive justice although she herself has “lost” her son.

“I lost everything … my hairdressing salon business, my house and I even had to leave my family, friends and hometown of Jelebu because of the case.

“I am still struggling to make ends meet in a place alien to me but at least others will not suffer what I went through,” she added.

On February 10, the Federal Court granted Deepa granted custody of the couple’s 11-year old daughter Sharmila, also called Nur Nabila, while her ex-husband Izwan Abdullah got custody of their eight-year-old son Mithran, also called Nabil, after the judges interviewed the children. Read more

Government urged to address issue of unilateral conversion

Source: The Malay Mail Online

S. Deepa speaks to members of the media at the Federal Court in Putrajaya. — Picture by Yusoff Mat Isa

S. Deepa speaks to members of the media at the Federal Court in Putrajaya. — Picture by Yusoff Mat Isa

PETALING JAYA — The government’s move to give civil courts full jurisdiction in divorce and custody cases involving spouses who convert to Islam has led to discussions on the issue of unilateral conversion.

Lawyer Fahri Azzat, welcoming the announcement on Thursday by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, said the proposed amendments had taken a long time coming as the idea was first discussed in 2009.

“Firstly, the general idea that the converting spouse should be held accountable under civil law is an excellent notion,” he said.

Fahri said this could resolve the issue of conflicting orders such as was the case with his client S. Deepa who obtained a civil order in the custody battle over her two children with her former husband, Izwan Abdullah, obtaining a Shariah court order.

However, he was wary of the issue of unilateral conversion in which the converting spouse had the right to convert his/her child.

Fahri believed children should have the right to decide even before they become majors.

Najib had said the government will table a bill amending the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976 when Parliament resumes in October.

Society for the Promotion of Human Rights (Proham) executive committee member Ivy Josiah, who welcomed the announcement, wants the government to address the issue of unilateral conversion. Read more

Annual asset declaration more effective, says MACC

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Suruhanjaya Pencegahan Rasuah Malaysia (SPRM) – Gambar fail The Malaysian Insider

Suruhanjaya Pencegahan Rasuah Malaysia (SPRM) – Gambar fail The Malaysian Insider

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 27 — The Malaysia Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) welcomes the renewed interest to review asset declaration from the current five years to annually.

However, the discretion for such a move lies solely with the Public Service Department (PSD).

“An annual asset declaration could be more effective than the current five-year declaration,” MACC deputy chief commissioner (management and professionalism) Datuk Seri Mohd Jamidan Abdullah said.

“The move could help provide a clearer picture of assets under the name of an individual.”

But Mohd Jamidan was quick to affirm that such a decision rested solely with the PSD.

“It’s not up to us to decide on that as the commission does not have the powers to push for such a change. It’s up to the PSD.”

In light of recent events, he added, there had been a renewed interest in asset declaration and the department may be considering a review of their current policy. Read more