Disaster management: How prepared are we? — Tay Tian Yan

Source: The Malay Mail Online

whatyouthink-new-logo_200_200_100NOVEMBER 1 — What can we do in the face of a major disaster?

This is a lesson Malaysians have to learn.

The water cuts in Selangor and the fire at JB’s Sultanah Aminah Hospital are different in nature, but they are all disasters.

When a disaster strikes, the first thing some people will do is to look for the scapegoat. For instance. Selangor Menteri Besar Azmin Ali asserted that the river pollution causing the water supply disruption was the work of Umno, without offering any evidence.

That was an act trying to avert public attention, and frustration. I’m not sure how people will actually believe in him, but even if there some, what can be done? Can that solve the problem of water source contamination?

Of course not. Moreover, this kind of things will keep happening in the future, and could get worse perhaps. Read more

Singapore starts first trial in 1MDB money-laundering scandal

Source: Borneo Post Online

2dd59cdba2fc323806e54f736afdb6c36a6286a4SINGAPORE: A former private banker went on trial in Singapore yesterday in the first prosecution of suspects linked to a massive international money-laundering scandal centred on Malaysian state fund 1MDB.

State prosecutors described the sums involved as ‘staggering’. They said Singaporean Yeo Jiawei, 33, an ex-wealth manager at Swiss bank BSI, was ‘one of the main Singapore-based suspects’ in the scandal, which is also being investigated by Switzerland and the United States.

Allegations that billions of dollars were misappropriated from 1MDB have triggered a scandal in neighbouring Malaysia. Singapore, a regional financial hub, last year launched a probe into alleged illicit fund flows linked to 1MDB and closed down the local branches of two Swiss banks – BSI and Falcon Private Bank – involved in the scheme. Read more

Siti Kasim takes Jawi to court

Source: FMT News

The human rights advocate wants details of its officers who raided a transgender beauty contest which was a closed door event. Pic from FMT News.

The human rights advocate wants details of its officers who raided a transgender beauty contest which was a closed door event. Pic from FMT News.

KUALA LUMPUR: Lawyer Siti Kasim has taken the Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Jawi) to court to compel the department to name the religious officers involved in a raid at a transgender event.

Siti was subsequently arrested on April 3 at the Renaissance Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

In the originating summons filed by Mark Law Chambers on Oct 20, Siti urged the court to order Jawi to provide her with details of the said officers.

She wants their names, identification numbers and positions held.

Siti also wants copies of any police reports lodged against her, copy of arrest report and any warrant which gave the religious department the authority to carry out the raid and arrest her.

The activist disclosed in the affidavit that her lawyers wrote to Jawi on September 14 requesting those details as she wanted to proceed with legal action against them. Read more

Fix the problems and the rallies will stop

Source: FMT News

Writer Zan Azlee puts it simply for the government to understand how protests have always been part of Malay culture, and to recognise the reasons for Bersih 5. Pic from FMT News.

Writer Zan Azlee puts it simply for the government to understand how protests have always been part of Malay culture, and to recognise the reasons for Bersih 5. Pic from FMT News.

PETALING JAYA: Just fix the problems, get the systems right, have free and fair elections, then the people will have no reason to come out in protest in a peaceful rally anymore.

That is the simple call by social activist and writer Zan Azlee on how the government can deal with the issue of Bersih 5.

Bersih 5 is scheduled to be held in Kuala Lumpur, and other locations around the country as well as overseas, on Nov 19. It is organised by the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections, better known as Bersih 2.0.

Referring to the government’s disapproval for the rally taking place, be it by using threats (from related parties), or the excuse that businesses, tourism and other daily aspects of life in the city would be disrupted, Zan said that’s the whole point.

“That’s what these demonstrations are supposed to do – disrupt everyday life to bring attention to more important and pressing issues – but peacefully and without violence, of course. It’s a part of a healthy and thriving democracy. Read more

Zahid: Police looking into ex-ministers’ Budget 2017 debate statements

Source: The Star

If the speeches are deemed to breach the OSA, the investigation will be handed to Attorney General's Chambers.

If the speeches are deemed to breach the OSA, the investigation will be handed to Attorney General’s Chambers.

KUALA LUMPUR: Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the police are looking into the case involving statements made by three former ministers when debating Budget 2017 in Parliament.

He said if the speeches are deemed to have breached the Official Secrets Act (OSA), then the police will be handing over the investigation papers to the Attorney-General’s Chambers for further action.

“It’s too early for me to give any findings from the investigation papers as the police report has already been made and the Inspector-General of Police has issued a statement.

“So, we leave this matter to the police and the A-G for the next course of action,” he said after the launch of a biography of Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Being Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, by Sultan Nazrin Shah of Perak at the Sime Darby Convention Centre here yesterday.

Dr Ahmad Zahid was referring to the remarks made by former Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, former Rural and Regional Development Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal and former Second Finance Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah when debating the 2017 Supply Bill at the Dewan Rakyat last week. Read more