Source: FMT News
Bersih 2.0 and many other NGOs slam the department over the arrest of several Orang Asli and journalists. Pic form FMT News.
PETALING JAYA: Two NGOs joined the government’s human rights body today to take Kelantan authorities to task after Orang Asli and journalists were arrested at a blockade in Gua Musang.
The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia’s (Suhakam) called for “legislative and administrative reforms” to define and protect the rights of the Orang Asli when it comes to their land and resources.
It also suggested that the National Forestry Act 1984 be reviewed.
“Despite clear evidence that the situation of the Orang Asli constitutes a serious derogation of Malaysia’s obligations to respect, protect and fulfil their rights, the government has done little to meaningfully address their situation, and the Orang Asli continue to lose more land and with it the enjoyment of related rights.” Read more
Source: The Sundaily
PETALING JAYA: Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) want the authorities to put in place a monitoring system for convicted serial rapist Selva Kumar Subbiah who will be returning to Malaysia soon.
Selva Kumar, 56, whose 24-year prison term ends on Jan 29, will likely be deported home, raising concerns among NGOs if the serial sexual offender will pose a threat to the community.
GPS tagging devices are already being used in the North America and Scandinavia — Pic from AFP.
Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO) communications officer Tan Heang-Lee told theSun that he must be evaluated by professionals to determine to what extent he has been rehabilitated.
“If he has yet to be rehabilitated, the Canadian and Malaysian authorities must work closely, ensuring that there is a follow-up plan for his rehabilitation,” she told theSun today.
She said Malaysian authorities must establish a tracking mechanism to monitor his movements.
“As this is a public interest issue, the Canadian and Malaysian authorities must be transparent with the Malaysian public about the reintegration plan – and the safeguards put in place.
“The Malaysian authorities must assure us that the safety of our community will not be compromised,” Tan said.
She said there is an urgent need for a sex offender’s registry and tracking mechanism to ensure sexual offenders do not reoffend once they reintegrate into the community. Read more
Source: The Star Online
Freed: Forest officers released Too (left) and Ong from the department’s office in Gua Musang. Pic from the Star Online.
PETALING JAYA: After a brief lull, the controversy surrounding the anti-logging blockades set up by the Temiar orang asli near Gua Musang has flared up again.
The latest direct confrontation between the opposing sides followed a major operation by the Kelantan Forestry Department, which dismantled two barricades in the Balah forest reserve – one in Simpang Petei on Monday and another in Matau Cawas near Pos Bihai yesterday.
At the Matau Cawas blockade, the department’s enforcement officers arrested two freelance journalists, Ong Ju Lim, 46, and Too Chee Hung, 36, as well as 16 orang asli.
The orang asli were later released at the blockade site while Ong and Too were taken to the department’s office in Gua Musang.
According to a statement from Singapore-based Channel NewsAsia, Ong had been engaged by the news agency to produce a documentary on deforestation in Kelantan. Read more
Source: The Star Online
Shops inundated by flood waters in Segamat town on Tuesday night. Pic from the Star Online.
JOHOR BARU: Eight of 10 districts in Johor have been hit by floods bringing the total number of evacuees to 8,204 from 2,428 families housed in 70 relief centres statewide as of early Wednesday morning.
Johor Health and Environment Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said that Muar was the latest district to be affected by floods with 90 victims evacuated and placed at the Dewan Semai Bakti Gugusan Felda Moakil relief centre.
“Segamat remained the worst hit, as the number of flood victims increased to 6,609 involving 2,012 families in 50 centres as of 6am on Wednesday. Read more
Source: The Malay Mail Online
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 25 ― Three voters in Hulu Selangor failed in their bid to quash a decision by the Election Commission (EC) in altering the boundaries of the Kuala Kubu Bahru (KKB) and Batang Kali constituencies, which they claimed had prejudiced their right to vote.
This followed a decision by Judicial Commissioner of the High Court, Azizul Azmi Adnan yesterday in dismissing the leave application for a judicial review brought by P.Maradeveran, Zahar Rusuli and Yong Chan Hee to quash the EC’s decision.
Lawyer Joanne Chua, represented the three voters, said the court dismissed the application on grounds that it was filed out of time under Order 53(3) of the Rules of Court 2012.
When contacted she said the court found that three-month time limit starting from the publication of the Gazette on April 29, 2016, was not met.
“Our position is that time started running from the date we received the letter from EC on August 8, 2016. The application was filed on October 21, 2016.
Hence, the court found that the application was filed out of time,” she said. Read more