Villagers concerned with ‘return’ of bauxite mining in Kampung Jeram in Pahang

 

HAKAM Comment: What happened to the extended moratorium on bauxite mining of three months from the start of 2017 as announced by Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar in December 2016?

Source: The Malay Mail Online

An excavator fills a lorry with bauxite at the stockpile area at Kuantan port in this file picture. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

An excavator fills a lorry with bauxite at the stockpile area at Kuantan port in this file picture. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUANTAN, Feb 21 — The presence of two excavators in Kampung Jeram in Beserah here has left local residents in a quandary as they fear bauxite mining activities are taking place while the moratorium period is still on.

The People’s Movement to Stop Bauxite Pollution (Geram) chairman, Ali Akbar Othman said the villagers realised the existence of the machinery in the village yesterday evening and they were eager to get answers from the contractor today.

He said after discussing, the contractor claimed he received a letter of approval to load and clear the bauxite stockpile from the mine.

“However, a check at the site revealed several new digging sites. We also asked the contractor to show us the letter and permit which he claimed he had obtained but he said the documents are with the land owner.

“As such we want them to stop work and gave them until tomorrow to submit the documents to verify claims that approval from the authorities had been obtained,” he said when contacted here. Read more

Activist Lena Hendry disappointed over conviction

Source: The Star Online

Lena Hendry - Pic from Human Rights in ASEAN Online Platform.

Lena Hendry – Pic from Human Rights in ASEAN Online Platform.

KUALA LUMPUR: Activist Lena Hendry was convicted by a magistrate’s court over the charge of screening a Sri Lankan civil war documentary that had not been approved by the Censorship Board.

Hendry, 32, who stood expressionless in the dock upon hearing the verdict, said she was disappointed with the judgment.

“We will definitely appeal. No proof to convict me,” Hendry, who was accompanied by her lawyer New Sin Yew, told reporters here Tuesday.

Her well-wishers, friends and supporters surrounded her after the judgment, and they hugged and consoled her.

A supporter of her was holding a placard saying “Human Rights Documentaries are not dangerous”.

One of those present in the public gallery was Ivy Josiah, who is Hakam’s (National Human Rights Society) exco member and former executive director of Women Aid Organisation. Read more

Court finds film activist guilty for showing Sri Lanka war documentary without approval

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Activist Lena Hendry is seen outside the courtroom after the film censorship case decision in Kuala Lumpur February 21, 2017. ― Picture by Choo Choy May

Activist Lena Hendry is seen outside the courtroom after the film censorship case decision in Kuala Lumpur February 21, 2017. ― Picture by Choo Choy May

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 21 — Activist Lena Hendry has been found guilty by the Magistrate Court today for allegedly screening a documentary on the Sri Lankan civil war without the approval of the Censorship Board.

Magistrate Mohd Rehan Mohd Aris found the Pusat Komas programme manager guilty of censorship charges after the defence failed to prove reasonable doubt on the prosecution’s case.

He did not hand out any sentence after Hendry’s lawyer New Sin Yew requested for a written submission to be handed in.

“He found her guilty but he has fixed sentencing for another day. He wants a written submission by first of March,” New told reporters after the case today.

New added if convicted, Hendry would face up to three years’ jail or a fine not exceeding RM30,000, under Section 6(1)(b) of the Film Censorship Act, 2002.

Mohd Rezan also set March 22 for the next hearing and for the sentencing to be done. Read more

Report lodged against Facebook user over post insulting PM

Source: The Malay Mail Online

A police report has been lodged against a Facebook user named James Hunt over slanderous and unfounded statement against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and the Muslim community. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng

A police report has been lodged against a Facebook user named James Hunt over slanderous and unfounded statement against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and the Muslim community. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng taken from the Malay Mail Online

LABUAN, Feb 21 — The Labuan Youth Council has lodged a police report against a Facebook account holder for posting an allegedly slanderous and unfounded statement against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and insulting to the Muslim community.

Its president, Basran Yunus, said the report was lodged yesterday at the Labuan police station against the Facebook user registered under the name of ‘James Hunt’.

“We want the relevant authorities to take stern action against him. The police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission need to investigate and take the appropriate action,” he said.  “His irresponsible statement can cause racial disharmony and disunity among the multiracial community in the country,” Basran said. — Bernama

BERSIH 2.0 PRESS STATEMENT (21 FEBRUARY 2017): MARCH 2017 – VOTER REGISTRATION MONTH

Bersih 2.0 has announced March as the voter registration month, and initiated the “U Campaign” to raise awareness and encourage as many Malaysians as possible to register. The press statement released on 21 February 2017 clarifies the reasons and initiative taken by Bersih. Only those registered before 31 March 2017 will be able to vote in GE14.

Source: Bersih 2.0

BERSIH 2.0 today kickstarted our voter registration campaign that is slated to run for the whole of March 2017. The “U Campaign” is targeted at the approximately four million Malaysian citizens who are still unregistered and to draw awareness to the importance of registering to vote.

UNDI

Centering on the letter “U” which stands for “UNDI” (which can also double as “you”), BERSIH 2.0’s voter registration campaign places the power back in the hands of Malaysians, complementing BERSIH’s philosophy as a people’s movement. The blank square invites people to tell us what they are voting for, underscoring the importance of registering to vote. It is also about linking the expectations of voters to future elected representatives of the change that Malaysians want for the country. By introducing sleek design and a more interactive aspect to our campaign, we hope to appeal to the younger generation while remaining committed to bridging the urban-rural divide.

The campaign will include several on-the-ground activities at post offices and other events across Malaysia, beginning this Saturday, 25 February 2017.

BERSIH 2.0 has chosen the month of March to run this campaign as it marks the end of the first quarter and when the Election Commission (EC) will start processing registrations. Each new registration will take up to six months to process and gazette and as such, 31 March 2017 will be the last day Malaysians can register to vote if GE14 were to happen in September 2017. Read more

Bersih: Correct Johor Menteri Besar’s ‘dubious’ voter details

Source: FMT News

maria-chin-khaled-nordin

Bersih leader Maria Chin Abdullah and Johor Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin – Pic from FMT News

PETALING JAYA: Electoral reform group Bersih 2.0 says the “dubious” voter details of Johor Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin must be corrected, following submissions by the state Pakatan Harapan yesterday of hundreds of suspicious voter details.

According to Johor Pakatan Harapan, Khaled’s voter details list his address as that of his office, not his residence – where 13 other voters, including his son, Akmal Saufi, are also registered.

Khaled reportedly changed the address on his MyKad to his office address last year.

In a statement issued today, Bersih chief Maria Chin Abdullah called the move “an outright manipulation of the electoral roll and obvious abuse of power”. Read more

SPRM tahan 2 pegawai agama Johor disyaki rasuah

Sumber: FMT News 

macc-johor

Mereka yang ditahan adalah ketua penolong pengarah dan penolong pegawai Bahagian Undang-undang Syariah. – Gambar diambil dari FMT News

JOHOR BAHRU: Suruhanjaya Pencegahan Rasuah Malaysia (SPRM) Johor hari ini menahan 2 pegawai kanan Jabatan Agama Islam Negeri (JAINJ) kerana disyaki terlibat dalam rasuah dan salah guna kuasa.

Seorang daripadanya ialah ketua penolong pengarah dan seorang lagi penolong pegawai Bahagian Undang-undang Syariah.

Kedua-dua lelaki berusia 55 dan 40 tahun itu ditahan di pejabat SPRM Johor kira-kira 4.30 petang ketika hadir untuk memberi keterangan berhubung siasatan dijalankan ke atas mereka. Read more

Senior ministry official and son face corruption charges

Source: FMT News

Mohd-Arif-Ab-Rahman

MACC’s case against rural and regional development ministry sec-gen and son ‘for abetment in soliciting for bribes’ will go to court today. – Pic taken from FMT News

PETALING JAYA: The case against rural and regional development ministry secretary-general Mohd Arif Ab Rahman and one of his sons will go to court today with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) charging them with abetment in soliciting for bribes.

The father and son duo, who were released on bail on Jan 15, were detained yesterday by the MACC in order to face the charges today, The Star reported.

Both men are expected to be taken to the courts in Jalan Duta and Shah Alam to face charges later today. Read more

Banned in Malaysia, producers show movie for free online instead

Source: The Malay Mail Online

‘Absent Without Leave’ will be made available to local viewers on the Internet for free. ― Picture via Facebook/Absent Without Leave

‘Absent Without Leave’ will be made available to local viewers on the Internet for free. ― Picture via Facebook/Absent Without Leave

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 21 ― The makers of the award-winning movie Absent Without Leave, which was banned here due to communist overtones, will make it available to local viewers without charge.

Producers Hummingbird Production said it decided to show the movie online after it was unable to secure approval from local authorities to screen the story set during the Communist Insurgency.

“It’s still forbidden to screen the film in Malaysian cinemas. So we decided to make the film available for free on Internet ― only for Malaysian audience ― in the week from February 28th to March 5th 2017,” the firm wrote on Facebook.

The movie link will be made available via a Facebook event.

Absent Without Leave is directed by Sitiawan-born Lau Kek Huat and recounts the story of his grandfather’s experiences during the insurgency.

The movie took five years to make and cost Lau over RM80,000.

It has been shown in several film festivals around the world including South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, where it won the Singapore International Film Festival’s Audi­ence Award.