No food at KLIA lockup: Immigration to probe Bangladeshi’s grouses


Source: FMT News 

PETALING JAYA: The Immigration Department will look into allegations by Bangladeshi human rights activist Adilur Rahman Khan, who was denied entry into the country.

Adilur was quoted by Dhaka-based The Daily Star news portal as saying that, among other things, he was forced to fork out US$100 (RM429) to get food while in detention at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on Thursday.

“I have to check on this,” Immigration Department director-general Mustafar Ali told FMT when contacted today.

“But the immigration is not the one responsible to provide them (those held at KLIA) with food.

“There is a vendor appointed by the airline operators who is supposed to look into their well-being.”Adilur, who is the secretary of the rights group Odhikar, had also alleged that detainees who could not afford to pay the US$100 had only water and no food.

To this Mustafar said: “I will definitely look into it.”

He also noted Adilur’s complaint about the room he was held in, which allegedly had around 60 people.

“The only toilet facility in the lockup was filthy and insufficient for the number of people in the room,” Adilur had said, according to a statement issued by Odhikar on Friday.

Mustafar said while many of the allegations Adilur made were “exaggerated”, he admitted that the waiting room for those waiting to be deported could be improved.

But it was the only room at KLIA that the Immigration Department was provided with, he added.

“We will discuss about getting a better spot for them.”

Mustafar stressed that Adilur was never “detained”. He expressed unhappiness with such claims as the fact was that Adilur’s name was in the “Not To Land” (NTL) list.

“NTL is not a detention. They (those under the NTL list) are being deported because they are not allowed to enter the country.

“It’s not because of the Immigration Department but because of some requests and applications made by various law enforcement agencies.

“In Adilur’s case, the request came from the police,” he said.

Adilur claimed he did not know the actual reason behind the action taken against him.

The Bangladeshi Supreme Court advocate was deported at 8.05pm after being detained at the immigration counter upon landing about 4am that day.

He had travelled to Malaysia to attend a conference titled “Abolition of the Death Penalty in Malaysia and in Asia-Pacific” held at the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall on July 21 and 22.