KUALA LUMPUR: Police have completed their probe into the death threats against Bersih 2.0 chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah and her sons, Bersih committee member Mandeep Singh and Malaysian Human Rights Society chairperson Ambiga Sreenevasan.
“The investigation paper was submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on April 12, 2017,” the home ministry said in a written reply at the Dewan Rakyat today.
The ministry added that the government was awaiting a report on the issue from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
The ministry was replying to Ramkarpal Singh (DAP-Bukit Gelugor), who asked about the status of the police reports made by Maria, Ambiga and Mandeep regarding the death threats they received.
On Oct 18 last year, Maria received a death threat via WhatsApp from an anonymous individual in relation to the upcoming Bersih 5 rally.
The threat came in an Islamic State (IS)-styled doctored image which depicted a man dressed in black holding a dagger to Maria’s neck.
Maria said the death threats also targeted her three sons.
Similar images were sent to Mandeep and Ambiga.
According to media reports, Ambiga described the death threat as an “act of terrorism”.
“This is appalling, they have really crossed the line. This is something that requires immediate action,” she had said at the time.
The home ministry added that police were still investigating a second death threat against Maria and her sons made in November, just before the Bersih 5 rally on Nov 19.
This time, the WhatsApp message featured images of decapitated heads, also in IS style.
Police are investigating the case under Section 507 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation.