Summonses against ‘indecently dressed’ Muslims to educate, Kelantan authorities say

Source: The Malay Mail Online

KOTA BHARU, Sept 27 — The Kelantan Islamic Religious Affairs Department (Jaheaik) has stressed that summonses issued against Muslim men and women caught for indecent dressing were meant to educate.

Its assistant director (enforcement division), Mohd Fadzuli Mohd Zain said the individuals issued with summonses from the department were only required to attend counselling sessions failing which, they would be hauled up to the Syariah Court where they risked being fined RM1,000, upon conviction.

“Previously, there were individuals served with summonses and after attending the counselling sessions, they understood the reasons and they did not have to pay the fine,” he said when contacted here today. Read more

Suhakam: Turkish writer Akyol’s detention blemishes Malaysia’s ‘moderate’ reputation

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Mustafa Akyol was detained by the police on Monday night after immigration authorities prevented him from boarding his flight at the airport. He was released after Jawi questioned him yesterday morning. — Picture by Choo Choy May

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 27 — The detention of Turkish author and columnist Mustafa Akyol has tarnished Malaysia’s international reputation as a moderate nation, the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) said today.

Suhakam also said it believed the actions by the Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Jawi), which had applied for an arrest warrant in order to question Akyol after he spoke at a roundtable discussion on apostasy last Sunday, were not government policy, but that the religious department had been allowed to take “arbitrary” measures.

“Such extreme action in our multireligious, multiracial and moderate Malaysia in our view is repressive, undemocratic and intended to be intimidating.

“There is no question that this must be stopped by the government and such actions that reflect hostility, narrow-mindedness and intolerance of civil, intellectual and religious discourse should not be committed again,” Suhakam chairman Tan Sri Razali Ismail said in a statement. Read more

EC: Young Malaysians still not keen on voting

Source: The Malay Mail Online

PUTRAJAYA, Sept 27 — The Election Commission (EC) expressed concern today over young Malaysians who still refuse to register as voters.

EC chairman Tan Sri Mohd Hashim Abdullah said that from the roadshows at local universities and colleges, only 2,700 students registered from around 30,000 people met.

“They (youths) say they don’t know (about voter registration), don’t know where to vote and they don’t want to be involved in politics.

“They relate voting to only politics. They also think their vote has no weightage,” Mohd Hashim said during a press conference at the EC headquarters today. Read more

Interfaith group backs ex-IGP, says Malaysia not meant to be Islamic theocracy

Source: The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 27 ― The Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism (MCCBCHST) agreed with the view of a former top policeman who warned of trouble if the country turned into a theocracy.

The umbrella body representing non-Muslim religions said it fully supported former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Mohd Noor’s assertion that Malaysia was never meant to be an Islamic state or to have an official religion.

“MCCBCHST has consistently stated in the past that when Malaya gained Independence in 1957 and when Malaysia was formed in 1963, that there was no consideration or proposal for Malaya or Malaysia to be an Islamic Country,” the group said in a statement.

“Our forefathers had clearly envisioned Malaysia to be based on secular laws.

“That it would be unconstitutional and an attack on the ‘Core fabric’ of the constitution if one were to aspire for it to be an Islamic Country based on Islamic Laws including Hudud Offences”. Read more

Selangor loses final bid for EC data

Source: The Malay Mail Online

PUTRAJAYA, Sept 27 — The Federal Court today rejected the Selangor government’s application for leave to appeal a decision denying it Election Commission (EC) documents on 136,272 dubious voters.

Lawyer Latheefa Koya, who represented the state government, said the court ruled that there was nothing “novel” about the seven questions that were submitted for its consideration.

“We are not happy but we have a long way to go. The main issue of the judicial review on the redelineation exercise is still ongoing.

“At least there we have successfully filed for an injunction to stop the EC from submitting its report to the prime minister, which the Attorney-General’s Chambers is appealing on behalf of the EC on Oct 30 at the High Court,” she told reporters after the hearing. Read more