KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 5 — A Malaysian mother and her twice-abducted son, who were previously barred from leaving China, were finally allowed to return home and managed to fly back yesterday just in time for a family reunion.
Cheng Chau Yang, 42, and her eight-year-old Malaysian son were, for almost two years, stuck in China under a mysterious court-imposed travel ban to secure the visitation rights of her ex-husband. The ex-husband had previously abducted the child twice.
“It feels so surreal to be back home after four long years of absence. It feels good to be home and safe again,” the mother told Malay Mail Online.
“Thank you everybody who has helped us out during the difficult times, especially Datuk Seri Anifah (Aman). It’s great to be a Malaysian.”
Myra Cheng, the eldest sister of Chau Yang who has been coordinating the campaign securing the restoration of her and her son’s travel rights, described their return as the “best mid-autumn gift ever”.
“The duo have regained their freedom and have safely arrived Kuala Lumpur in the wee hours yesterday,” she said in an open letter today. Read more