Abducted pastor’s family were not cooperative in probe, inquiry told

Source: The Malaysian Insight 

THE family members of Pastor Raymond Koh did not cooperate in the police probe into his disappearance, a public inquiry was told today.

Investigating officer Assistant Superintendent Supari Mohammad said during initial investigations, Koh’s family members were unhelpful.

“The family did not want to cooperate with us. They didn’t want to answer questions on proselytising, what activities Koh was doing, and other issues.  

“For example, when he went missing for four days – and I have evidence –when I asked the family (about it), they said they don’t know. They are all staying under one roof. How is it that they don’t know?” he told the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) public inquiry. Read more

Jingga 13 chairman Fariz Musa freed on charge with participating in street demonstration

Source: The Malay Mail Online

On September 8, 2015, Fariz Musa (second right) had pleaded not guilty to a charge of participating in the the street demonstration which started in front to the Sogo Complex. Pic by The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 ― The Magistrate’s Court here today discharged, but not amounting to an acquittal, Jingga 13 chairman Mohd Fariz Abd Talib @ Musa ,47, on a charge with participating in the  #KitaLawan street demonstration two years ago.

Magistrate Ahmad Solihin Abd Wahid made the decision after he was informed by the prosecution, conducted by deputy public prosecutor Raja Zaizul Faridah Raja Zaharudin, that the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC)  allowed the representation by Mohd Fariz, represented by lawyer Eric Paulsen, for a review of the charge against him.

“As such, the prosecution closes its case against Mohd Fariz,” he said.

Later, when met outside the court, Raja Zaizul Faridah said the representation was made because Mohd Fariz had diabetes and one of his legs had been amputated. Read more

Selangor Royal Court wants Dr Mahathir investigated for sedition

Source: The Malaysian Insight 

THE Selangor Royal Court wants Pakatan Harapan chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad investigated for sedition, for allegedly inciting hatred towards those of Bugis descent.

In a statement today, Selangor Royal Court secretary Hanafisah Jais said Dr Mahathir had appeared to incite Malaysians to hate, degrade and view the Bugis community with contempt.

Dr Mahathir allegedly made such remarks in a speech at the Love Malaysia, End Kleptocracy rally in Petaling Jaya on October 14, Hanafisah said.

“Members of the Royal Court feel (Dr Mahathir’s) speech was extremely excessive, and can spark hatred and feelings of ill will towards the Bugis community, to the point of causing chaos and disharmony  ,” said the statement. Read more

MP moots mandatory sexual crimes check on all jobseekers dealing with kids

Source: The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 ― Pre-employment screening must be made mandatory for all new hires working with children, Opposition lawmaker Charles Santiago said today amid growing reports of sexual assault against minors.

The Klang MP said the authorities need to conduct stringent background checks on jobseekers who would be working with children, like teachers, coaches and even volunteers.

“The current laws are not enough. We have to become more serious and strict.

“I call upon the government to make pre-employment screening mandatory for people who work with children,” he said in a press conference in Parliament. Read more

Bersih tells appellate courts to protect constitution and voters’ rights

Source: FMT News

Pic from FMT News

KUALA LUMPUR: The judiciary was today reminded by Bersih 2.0 that it is duty bound to uphold the Federal Constitution and voters’ rights, in the wake of all recent redelineation-related challenges handled by the appellate courts going in favour of the Election Commission (EC).

Bersih 2.0, the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections, said it was “extremely concerned” over how the delineation cases had turned out in the appellate courts.

The steering committee of Bersih 2.0 said in a statement that the Court of Appeal “special panel” judges – namely justices Mohd Zawawi Salleh, Abdul Rahman Sebli, Kamardin Hashim, Umi Kalthum Abdul Majid, Hasnah Mohammed Hashim, Idrus Harun, Ahmadi Asnawi and Suraya Othman – had “consistently ruled that the rakyat are unable to challenge the proposals put forward by the EC”.

It said: “This effectively means that the EC has free rein to act contrary to the provisions of the Federal Constitution in each step of the delineation process. Read more

Child Registry use can’t be forced, says Rohani

Source: The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 ― Not much can be done by the government to ensure the full use of the Child Registry, which has since January included the database of child offenders, due to limited power in enforcing its usage.

Women, Family and Community Development minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim said the ministry was only able to encourage potential employers to utilise the registry but could not make it a mandatory requirement.

On Tuesday, Malay Mail reported activists calling for loopholes in the registry to be plugged, which includes making checks on potential employees mandatory and enforceable, and barring those on the list from being hired. Read more