HUMAN RIGHTS EVENTS CALENDAR
Thank you for reviewing our compilation of Human Rights events. Please contact the respective Event Organiser directly should you have enquiries regarding their event.
- This event has passed.
Children Without Rights in Malaysia
September 24, 2016 @ 16:00 - 17:30
LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, Malaysia has signed the Convention on the Rights of the Child. But we also hold 5 reservations. Malaysia does not believe that all children should have the freedom from discrimination and the freedom from torture. Malaysia also doesn’t believe all children should have the rights to nationality, to free and compulsory primary education, and to freedom of thought, conscience and religion. What kind of a country are we?
As we are told to care for our own, we often think of other children as other people’s problems. But what about the children that nobody is thinking of? What can we do better protect our children, not just the ones at home, but also the ones failed by the state?
We gather a few of our most passionate children’s rights activists to tell us:
1. Hartini Zainudin, founder of Yayasan Chow Kit, on stateless children
2. Goh Siu Lin, President of the Association of Women Lawyers, on unilateral conversion of children
3. Dorian Wilde, founder of Transmen of Malaysia, on LGBT adolescents
4. Gloria Martinez, Senior Programme Manager of Malaysian Social Research Institute (MSRI), on access to education
5. Sharmila Sekaran, President of Voice of the Children, on juvenile justice
Moderator: Juana Jaafar
Sat 24 Sep, 4pm,
Grd flr, The School, Jaya One, Petaling Jaya.
Photo by Muhammad Rafiq, 16, Rohingya refugee in Malaysia. Image courtesy of Yayasan Chow Kit.