Source: Free Malaysia Today
Picture drawn from Free Malaysia Today
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Najib Razak today issued a frank admission of 1MDB’s failure, adding that there had been “valid cause for concern” over the state company’s affairs which have triggered investigations in several parts of the world.
“Now, I am not going to brush over this issue. There were indeed failings at the company, there were lapses in governance,” Najib told some 1,000 people at the Invest Malaysia 2018 conference today.
But Najib said the 1MDB issue had been politically exploited, adding that there was “a concentrated campaign” to sabotage the Malaysian economy.
He said the government was aware of 1MDB’s failings, which was why it had launched an investigation involving multiple authorities.
“Their findings were taken on board – and the company’s board was dissolved, its management team changed, and its operations reviewed,” he said.
1MDB was created by the government to promote long-term economic development for the benefit of the Malaysian people.
Source: The Malay Online
Three years ago, Zaid was charged under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (CMA) under which stipulates that another person who was annoyed had to be called to give evidence. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 11 ― DAP member Datuk Zaid Ibrahim was today acquitted by the Cyber Court over an allegedly offensive blog post he made in 2015.
Justice Zaman Mohd Noor who made the ruling, said the prosecution failed to prove a prima facie case.
“The prosecution failed to sufficiently establish the case as there is a need to call the victim, [to ask] whether he is annoyed and how he felt. “Therefore the accused is released,” he said.
Three years ago, Zaid was charged under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (CMA) under which stipulates that another person who was annoyed had to be called to give evidence, which in this case would be the Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak. Read more
Source: Free Malaysia Today
SINGAPORE: Singapore’s central bank on Tuesday said it had permanently barred Yeo Jiawei, a former wealth manager of Swiss bank BSI involved in breaches related to Malaysia’s 1MDB fund, from managing financial services firms and advisory activities.
In July, a Singapore court jailed Yeo for four and half years for money laundering and cheating in a case linked to investigations into the siphoning of billions of dollars from Malaysian sovereign fund 1MDB. Read more
Source: The Malaysian Insight
Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah urged Jasa to work with civil society organisations to recover all stolen assets that rightfully belong to Malaysians. – The Malaysian Insight file pic by Najjua Zulkefli, November 27, 2017.
BERSIH 2.0 today told Special Affairs Department (Jasa) director Tun Faisal Ismail Aziz to wake up and realise that Malaysians are not buying his “lies” that the election watchdog’s work threatens the Muslim community.
Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah slammed Tun Faisal for saying that the organisation’s campaigns and allegations of fraud aimed at 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) were “prime examples of social media threats to the Muslim community” at a conference yesterday.
Cleared of any wrongdoing by the Attorney-General’s Chambers last week of activities detrimental to parliamentary democracy, Maria – a Muslim herself – said Jasa should not engage in fake news and irresponsibly spew hatred against civil society organisations. Read more
Source: The Malaysian Insight
ATTORNEY-GENERAL Mohamed Apandi Ali says he has tasked the police to reopen investigation into 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) because he is dissatisfied with their report.
Speaking to reporters in Putrajaya today, Apandi said parts of the report were not backed up with sufficient evidence.
“I cannot tell you what I have asked the police to investigate. All I can say is there were parts that lacked evidence.
“There’s at least 25% to 35% of the report that I am not satisfied with,” said the former Federal Court judge. Read more
Source: The Sun Daily
BY GURDIAL SINGH NIJAR
(Deputy President, HAKAM)
LAST week a US Court granted a stay of the proceedings of several civil cases filed to forfeit assets said to have been purchased with funds allegedly stolen from the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund – 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
This means that proceedings with regard to these cases – 14 out of the 21 filed by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) – will not proceed for the moment.
The DOJ requested for this stay because it said that criminal investigations of “a large group of individuals and entities” linked to the diversion of the stolen money (money laundering) were ongoing.
The DOJ fears that facts disclosed in these civil forfeiture cases could expose the witnesses and informants in the criminal investigations to intimidation or retaliation; and jeopardise the probe and the safety of these witnesses and informants. Evidence could be destroyed by the culprits. Read more
Source: FMT News
The vocal 1MDB critic says jewellery was a gift to the PM’s wife in March 2014, which she has knowledge of.
KUALA LUMPUR: 1MDB critic Khairuddin Abu Hassan has filed a suit seeking that the High Court order the prime minister’s wife, Rosmah Mansor, to return a 22-carat pink diamond set in a necklace to the sovereign wealth fund.
The former Umno leader, who was sacked from the party two years ago, also wants businessman Low Taek Jho to pay 1MDB all the money allegedly misappropriated from the company.
Khairuddin said he was initiating the suit as no other individual was bringing any action to recover the jewellery and enforce the law.
“The taxpayers will benefit through the recovery of the jewellery because they are the ultimate paymasters of 1MDB debts,” he claimed.
He also wants Rosmah and the businessman, better known as Jho Low, to compensate 1MDB for the alleged misappropriation and use of the jewellery and repay any money due to the company. Read more
Sumber: Sinar Harian
SHAH ALAM – Tindakan Amerika Syarikat (AS) memulakan siasatan jenayah terhadap wang yang didakwa dicuri daripada 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) membuktikan, isu itu di tahap lebih serius.
Lawyer Syahredzan Johan ― MMO File pic
Peguam dan pakar undang-undang, Syahredzan Johan berkata, berkemungkinan AS menemui dokumen baharu yang diyakini bukti kukuh untuk dikemukakan di mahkamah jenayah.
“Tindakan ini membuktikan AS serius menangani isu 1MDB. Kalau kita lihat, tindakan DOJ (Jabatan Kehakiman) AS memfailkan saman sivil sebelum ini juga disifatkan antara tindakan terbesar DOJ dalam isu ini.
“Mungkin mereka mendapat bukti yang dirasakan cukup kukuh untuk dikemukakan di mahkamah jenayah,” katanya kepada Sinar Harian, semalam.
Mengulas lanjut, Syahredzan berkata, siasatan jenayah itu dilihat sebagai satu tindakan lebih serius berbanding saman sivil yang dikenakan atas 1MDB. Read more
Source: FMT News
DoJ has asked a court in Los Angeles to put on hold its civil forfeiture lawsuits against Jho Low.
Image drawn from FMT News
LOS ANGELES: The US is conducting a criminal investigation into money stolen from 1MDB that allegedly was used to buy more than US$1 billion in real estate and other assets.
Court filings by the Department of Justice (DoJ) Thursday show the US is escalating its probe in a worldwide effort to track how much of the money that was raised by 1MDB for development projects was used to pay for luxury real estate, art, film productions and more.
DoJ officials asked a judge in Los Angeles to put on hold civil forfeiture lawsuits against assets acquired by Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho, also known as Jho Low, because pursuing these may have “an adverse effect” on its ability to conduct the criminal investigation.
In its civil cases, the US has alleged that from 2009 through 2015, more than US$4.5 billion belonging to 1MDB was diverted by high-level officials of the fund and their associates.
An FBI agent warned in a court filing that information disclosed in the civil cases may reveal “potential targets and subjects of the investigation and the investigative techniques that have been and will be used in the investigation.”
“Such disclosures could result in the destruction of evidence, flight of potential subjects and targets, or the identification and intimidation of potential witnesses,” according to the agent’s declaration. Read more
Source: The Malay Mail Online
KUALA LUMPUR, May 26 ― The High Court here today set Aug 1 to hear the application for a judicial review filed by Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali and Muhammad Zahid Md Arip to challenge the decision to classify the Auditor-General’s report on 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) as official secret.
Judge Datuk Wira Kamaludin Md Said set the date in chambers in the presence of lawyer Mohamed Haniff Khatri Abdulla representing Muhammad Zahid and lawyer N. Ganeson representing Mohamed Azmin.
Also present were senior federal counsel Shamsul Bolhassan representing the respondents, namely Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, former Auditor-General Tan Sri Ambrin Buang and the Malaysian Government.
Mohamed Azmin and Muhammad Zahid filed the application separately on Aug 15 and 5 last year.
In his application, Mohamed Azmin is seeking for a declaration that Najib had acted in conflict of interest, in issuing a certificate under Section 2B of the Official Secrets Act 1972, to Ambrin, directing him to classify his report on 1MDB as an “official secret”.
Azmin is also seeking for another declaration that the classification by Ambrin on the 1MDB report as “official secret” under the OSA was unlawful and “ultra vires” (beyond the power) of the Federal Constitution, the OSA and the Audit Act 1957.
Meanwhile, Muhammad Zahid, who is former spiritual leader of Pertubuhan Tolak Individu Bernama Anwar Ibrahim (TIBAI) filed the legal bid against the same respondents, seeking an order to make the 1MDB final report publicly accessible.
On Jan 11, the High Court granted both of them leave to proceed with their judicial review seeking to declassify the audit report on 1MDB. ― Bernama