Groups upset over lack of female appointments to JAC

Source: The Star Online

Datuk Kuthubul Zaman Bukhari - Pic from the Star.

Datuk Kuthubul Zaman Bukhari – Pic from the Star.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Prime Minister’s appointments to the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) fell short of the Government’s 30% quota for women, said several civil society groups.

The JAC comprises nine members: four are automatic – the Chief Justice, President of the Court of Appeal, Chief Judge of Malaya and Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak; and five are appointed by the Prime Minister – four eminent persons and one Federal Court judge.

The eminent persons and Federal Court Judge’s posts, which were vacant for 66 days, were filled on April 17 and all five were men.

The Society for the Promotion of Human Rights (Proham) chairman Datuk Kuthubul Zaman Bukhari said the body was concerned that there was not a single woman among the four eminent persons. Read more

Never too late to be an activist

Source: FMT News

The first woman to head the KL Bar Committee says she was introduced to activism late in her career. Pic from FMT News.

The first woman to head the KL Bar Committee says she was introduced to activism late in her career. Pic from FMT News.

KUALA LUMPUR: Goh Siu Lin, who recently became the first woman to head the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee, describes herself as a “late bloomer” in the world of activism.

In an interview with FMT, she said she decided to become an activist only in 2009. By then, she had been practising law for more than 12 years.

The decision came after a flight to Johor Bahru.

“During the flight, I was seated next to an executive committee member of AWL (Association of Women Lawyers). She invited me to become a member.

“Joining AWL was an eye-opener for me. I attended a talk on feminist perspectives of the law, which transformed my thinking and how I viewed my role as a lawyer, a mother and wife.” Read more

Putrajaya must be serious over ‘sex offenders registry’

Source: FMT News

Association of Women Lawyers says knee-jerk reactions not enough, as two cases in past 7 months highlight urgent need to monitor movement of such criminals.

The Association of Women Lawyers' (AWL) President Goh Siu Lin. Pic taken from FMT News.

The Association of Women Lawyers’ (AWL) President Goh Siu Lin. Pic taken from FMT News.

PETALING JAYA: The Association of Women Lawyers (AWL) wants more consistency in the government’s commitment towards the establishment of a sex offender registry.

Calling any efforts or statements out of Putrajaya currently as mere knee-jerk reactions to issues in the media, AWL said two cases in the past seven months highlight the more urgent attention that is required on the matter.

“So far, the government’s responses appear to be knee jerk reactions to issues in the media with an ‘international’ flavour to it.

“First, it was Richard Huckle whose conviction last June in the UK sparked off the sexual grooming laws and now, Malaysian Selva Kumar Subbiah’s imminent deportation from Canada has revived discussions on the need for a sexual offender registry,” AWL president Goh Siu Lin said in a statement. Read more

End the misery of stateless children – Goh Siu Lin

Source: FMT News

BY GOH SIU LIN

Federal Government should make decisions within six months as recommended by Court of Appeal.

navin

The Association of Women Lawyers refers to the news report on the long-awaited decision of the Home Ministry in granting citizenship to Navin Moorthy under Article 15 of the Federal Constitution.

This is indeed a significant moment for child rights in Malaysia, in line with the spirit and intent of the said Article 15A while upholding Malaysia’s obligations under Article 7 the United Nations Convention of the Rights of the Child on the right of every child to acquire a nationality.

M. Navin was born in this country to a Malaysian father and Filipino mother. He had endured a 3 year legal battle seeking Malaysian citizenship after his father’s two earlier applications to the Home Ministry for his son’s Malaysian citizenship were consecutively rejected in 2011 and 2012. Read more

After Deepa ruling, lawyers say child custody should go to the non-violent parent

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Izwan Abdullah, formerly known as N Viran in a custody battle with ex-wife S. Deepa

Izwan Abdullah, formerly known as N Viran in a custody battle with ex-wife S. Deepa

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 13 — The courts should favour granting custody of children to the non-violent parent insteading of sending them to live with the one accused of domestic abuse, the Association of Women Lawyers (AWL) said today.

Commenting on the Federal Court’s split custody of one child each to Hindu mother S. Deepa and her Muslim convert ex-husband Izwan Abdullah, AWL president Goh Siu Lin noted the judges had reached their decision by interviewing the two children Mithran and Sharmila —  aged eight and 11 respectively.

But Goh highlighted that Deepa had not only complained of domestic violence by Izwan through more than seven police reports from 2007 to 2012, but had received an interim protection order against Izwan on August 2013.

For child custody dispute cases like Deepa’s where there was domestic violence, Goh said many countries including the United States (US) have changed how they view the best interests of the child.

“It may be timely for Malaysia to implement legal reform and structural changes to keep abreast of legal developments in the area of domestic violence and custodial rights,” she said in a statement. Read more