Democracy and good governance are our core concerns, says Bersih 2.0

Source: The Malaysian Insight

Bersih 2.0, Maria Chin Abdullah, The Malaysian Insight file pic by Najjua Zulkefli, November 27, 2017.

Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah urged Jasa to work with civil society organisations to recover all stolen assets that rightfully belong to Malaysians. – The Malaysian Insight file pic by Najjua Zulkefli, November 27, 2017.

BERSIH 2.0 today told Special Affairs Department (Jasa) director Tun Faisal Ismail Aziz to wake up and realise that Malaysians are not buying his “lies” that the election watchdog’s work threatens the Muslim community.

Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah slammed Tun Faisal for saying that the organisation’s campaigns and allegations of fraud aimed at 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) were “prime examples of social media threats to the Muslim community” at a conference yesterday.

Cleared of any wrongdoing by the Attorney-General’s Chambers last week of activities detrimental to parliamentary democracy, Maria – a Muslim herself – said Jasa should not engage in fake news and irresponsibly spew hatred against civil society organisations. Read more

Maria: End of year-old case over Bersih shows Sosma detention was baseless

Source: Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 21 ― Bersih 2.0’s Maria Chin Abdullah claimed the police’s decision to close a year-old case against the polls reform group showed that her detention without trial was baseless.

Maria, who chairs Bersih 2.0, said police also decided to return all items seized from Bersih 2.0, at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters today.

“Bukit Aman police has informed me that all investigations towards Bersih 2.0 and me have been closed.

“More interestingly, I was made to understand by the police that the return of the seized items are on the orders of the Attorney-General’s Chambers.

“Therefore it is proven that my detention under Sosma was without basis at all, and was merely a move to intimidate me, my family and Malaysians who love peace, democracy and justice,” she said in a statement today, referring to the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act. Read more

Bersih 2.0 claims more soldiers shifted as voters to unbuilt camps

Source: The Malay Mail Online

PETALING JAYA, Nov 7 ― More military personnel and their spouses have been transferred as voters to yet-to-be-built camps in several locations in peninsular Malaysia, Bersih 2.0 claimed today.

The elections watchdog said its investigations found the Election Commission (EC) had made voter transfers to locations in at least two states other than one it had previously highlighted in Segamat, Johor ― including to one in the constituency of Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

According to Bersih 2.0, up to 2,700 persons to the Bera Camp in Pahang and Hutan Melintang Camp in Perak, both of which are still under construction.

The group alleged that the transfers were politically motivated, pointing to the EC’s set-up of new localities to register voters from the camps.

“The EC had actually set up localities for these new camps,” the group’s co-chairman, Maria Chin Abdullah, told a press conference here. Read more

No excuse for Poca threat, say human rights groups

Source: FMT News

Paulsen: LFL is against all forms of preventive detention. Pic from FMT News

PETALING JAYA: Several human rights groups have criticised Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi’s warning that enforcement authorities will not hesitate to use preventive laws to detain those suspected of involvement in money-laundering activities.

The Citizen Action Group On Enforced Disappearance (CAGED), Lawyers for Liberty (LFL) and Bersih 2.0 agreed that a lack of witnesses or insufficient evidence was no excuse to put suspects under detention without a fair trial.

This came after Zahid said the police, in particular, would not compromise when acting against those who allegedly participate in illegal activities such as misusing bank accounts to make illicit payments.

“If there are no witnesses brave enough to provide information, or if there is insufficient evidence to press criminal charges against the suspects, the police will not be lenient in using the Prevention of Crime Act 1959 (Poca),” he was quoted as saying. Read more

Bersih tells appellate courts to protect constitution and voters’ rights

Source: FMT News

Pic from FMT News

KUALA LUMPUR: The judiciary was today reminded by Bersih 2.0 that it is duty bound to uphold the Federal Constitution and voters’ rights, in the wake of all recent redelineation-related challenges handled by the appellate courts going in favour of the Election Commission (EC).

Bersih 2.0, the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections, said it was “extremely concerned” over how the delineation cases had turned out in the appellate courts.

The steering committee of Bersih 2.0 said in a statement that the Court of Appeal “special panel” judges – namely justices Mohd Zawawi Salleh, Abdul Rahman Sebli, Kamardin Hashim, Umi Kalthum Abdul Majid, Hasnah Mohammed Hashim, Idrus Harun, Ahmadi Asnawi and Suraya Othman – had “consistently ruled that the rakyat are unable to challenge the proposals put forward by the EC”.

It said: “This effectively means that the EC has free rein to act contrary to the provisions of the Federal Constitution in each step of the delineation process. Read more

Bersih slams EC over criteria for election observers

Source: FMT News

Pic drawn from FMT News

PETALING JAYA: Electoral watchdog Bersih 2.0 took the Election Commission (EC) to task today over its criteria in deciding who to invite as election observers to monitor the upcoming 14th general election (GE14).

Responding to EC chairman Mohd Hashim Abdullah, who said earlier this week that the commission would only invite groups that had previously invited it to observe their elections, Bersih said it was “appalled”.

“The EC failed to understand that neutrality of observation is defined not based on personal whims and fancy, but as being able to carry out the observation independently, with integrity, professionalism and fairness.

“It must also be carried out with the passion to want to transform the electoral processes and system for the better so that the suffrage of voters is represented and protected in the long run,” it said in a statement issued by the Bersih steering committee. Read more

Death threat probe on Bersih chief submitted to AGC

Source: FMT News 

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have completed their probe into the death threats against Bersih 2.0 chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah and her sons, Bersih committee member Mandeep Singh and Malaysian Human Rights Society chairperson Ambiga Sreenevasan.

“The investigation paper was submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on April 12, 2017,” the home ministry said in a written reply at the Dewan Rakyat today.

The ministry added that the government was awaiting a report on the issue from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

The ministry was replying to Ramkarpal Singh (DAP-Bukit Gelugor), who asked about the status of the police reports made by Maria, Ambiga and Mandeep regarding the death threats they received. Read more

Death threat probe on Bersih chief submitted to AGC

Source: FMT News

However, second death threat against Maria Chin and her sons last November is still under police investigation. Pic from FMT News.

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have completed their probe into the death threats against Bersih 2.0 chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah and her sons, Bersih committee member Mandeep Singh and Malaysian Human Rights Society chairperson Ambiga Sreenevasan.

“The investigation paper was submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on April 12, 2017,” the home ministry said in a written reply at the Dewan Rakyat today.

The ministry added that the government was awaiting a report on the issue from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC). Read more

EC agrees to hold local inquiry into Bandar Tun Razak redelineation

Source: The Malaysian Insight 

Syahredzan Johan says judge Kamaludin Md Said allowed three voters to withdraw their bid for a judicial review without costs. – The Malaysian Insight pic

THREE voters in Kuala Lumpur’s Bandar Tun Razak have withdrawn their judicial review after the Election Commission agreed to hold a second local inquiry at the parliamentary constituency.

Mohammad Saiful Mansur, Khairuddin Asmuin and Norma Hashim had filed the judicial review in June when the EC refused to hold a local inquiry into the second round of proposals for the redelineation exercise, despite protests by 100 voters in the area.

“On July 27, we received a letter from EC, saying that it would hold a second local inquiry. And this hearing is the basis of our actions.

“If we had not filed the judicial review, EC would not have held a second local inquiry,” said lawyer Syahredzan Johan at the Kuala Lumpur High Court today. Read more