Sabah to provide work permits for illegal immigrants, with strict conditions

Source: New Straits Times

pekerja_asing.transformed

Pic taken from NST Online

KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah government will be implementing a rehiring programme which will provide illegal immigrants here with valid work permits and the opportunity to work legally.

The six-month programme will commence tomorrow. State immigration director Musa Sulaiman said the initiative is part of the government’s effort to address labour shortages for sectors in which foreigners are permitted to work. Read more

Migration: Our policy Black Hole – Lim Teck Ghee

Source: The Heat Malaysia

BY LIM TECK GHEE

Malaysia should get rid of its policy black hole and politicking if it wants to solve our migration problems.

The recent ruckus over the plan to bring in as many as 1.5 million Bangladeshi workers into the country should shine the spotlight not only on the topic of foreign labour in Malaysia but also more crucially, on our migration policy.

In any country especially one with relatively open and porous borders – whether it is first, second or third world; developing or developed – one would expect that a national migration policy would receive priority attention, and be placed at the forefront of public policy and attention.

Such a policy would be accompanied by transparent disclosure of what the targets of that migration policy are, whether these targets have been met, and whether there needs to be refinements or changes to policy implementation.

Details of the policy would be published on a regular basis to enable all stakeholders to scrutinize and monitor the policy, and provide feedback to policy makers. Read more

8,418 applications for illegal immigrants rehiring programme

Source: The Borneo Post Online

PUTRAJAYA: The Home Ministry has received 8,418 applications for the illegal immigrants Rehiring Programme for a period of four days from Febuary 15.

Its secretary-general Datuk Seri Alwi Ibrahim said these involved   8,100 applications for Indonesian nationals, Myanmar citizens (178) and other nationalities (140).

He said the implementation of the Rehiring Programme would be continued for illegals from the 15 existing source countries.

“The government wants to encourage employers in the country to use the opportunity to participate in the Rehiring Programme which started from February 15.

“This follows the government’s decision yesterday to suspend recruitment of all foreign workers from all source countries including Bangladesh,” he said in a statement here yesterday. Read more

60,000 illegals rounded up last year: Immigration Dept

Source: NST Online

The Immigration Department nabbed over 60,000 illegal immigrants during their  operations nationwide in 2015 - pic taken from NST Online

The Immigration Department nabbed over 60,000 illegal immigrants during their operations nationwide in 2015 – pic taken from NST Online

CYBERJAYA: The Immigration Department nabbed over 60,000 illegal immigrants during their operations nationwide last year.

Its deputy director-general Datuk Ibrahim Abdullah said the huge number of arrests came about under the department’s Op Ikrar, which saw raids conducted daily nationwide.

“From the 60,000 illegal immigrants arrested, the department found that the largest group was made of those who violated the terms of their working pass, followed by expired permits and abuse of social visit pass to work here,” he told reporters at a construction site, here, earlier today. Read more

Recall, reissue Sabah MyKad – Tangau

Source: The Borneo Post

10 JANUARY, 2016 — PENAMPANG: United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (Upko) is standing firm on its recommendation that the Government recall and reissue all MyKads issued in Sabah.

Its acting president Datuk Seri Panglima Wilfred Madius Tangau said as far as UPKO was concerned, its proposal was very clear and it had been made known to the public.

“We will continue to say that this is the way to go (recalling and reissuing new MyKad) as it is the way to move forward for the issue. And we are only waiting for the Barisan Nasional (BN) Sabah liaison committee to meet and discuss the proposal,” he said.

Tangau said this when met by reporters after visiting the soon-to-be completed RM500mil International Technology and Commercial Centre here yesterday. Read more

A year after RCI report, Sabah leaders ask why nothing’s been done

Source: The Malay Mail Online

RCI-report-Sabah-illegal-immigrants

Pic taken from The Star Online

KOTA KINABALU, Dec 4 — Local leaders are pressing the state and federal governments to explain the apparent inaction over Sabah’s perennial problem with illegal immigrants despite the release of report by a royal inquiry on the subject a year ago.

Politicians from both sides of the divide are complaining of the lack of action since the release of the findings by the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI), with some claiming the entire investigation to be just a ruse with no substance and authority to solve the issue.

“The people of Sabah are obviously not happy with the progress following the RCI report. It has been a year now and looks like the people do not know what happened or which direction the committee is heading for and what recommendations they are making.

“We must be transparent over this monstrous issues that has bedevilled the people of Sabah for decades,” said Minister in the Prime Minister’s department Tan Sri Joseph Kurup when contacted by Malay Mail Online. Read more