Source: Free Malaysia Today
PETALING JAYA: A human rights NGO has questioned the government’s decision to appeal the acquittal of a woman who dropped balloons at an event attended by the prime minister and his wife in 2015.
Lawyers for Liberty (LFL) executive director Eric Paulsen also questioned the need to secure a conviction for a minor incident, adding that it was a “waste of resources”.
“Surely there are real crimes for the public prosecutor to go after?
“He must not forget that he acts as a guardian for public interest. What public interest is being served by continuously appealing such a petty matter?”
Source: Malay Mail Online
Bilqis (right) was previously acquitted on July 1, 2017 by the Magistrates’ Court without her defence being called. — Picture by Miera Zulyana via Malay Mail Online
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 17 — The prosecution has again appealed against the acquittal of dance producer Bilqis Hijjas of a charge of “insulting behaviour” for dropping yellow balloons at a 2015 event graced by the prime minister.
Latheefa Koya, a lawyer for Bilqis, today said: “Our client just informed that she has been served the notice of appeal.”
When contacted, Bilqis — also popularly known as the “balloon girl” — confirmed that she had received the notice of appeal.
Source: Malay Mail Online
Bilqis Hijjas is seen with her lawyer, Latheefa Koya, after today’s decision at the Magistrates’ Court in Kuala Lumpur November 27, 2017. — Picture by Miera Zulyana
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 27 — Dance producer Bilqis Hijjas walked out beaming today after the Magistrates’ Court acquitted her of “insulting behaviour” for dropping yellow balloons at a 2015 event attended by the prime minister and his wife.
“I am very pleased. It has taken two years to get here. Thankful to my lawyers to fight this long fight.
“The point has been made, symbolic resistance is possible. I hope people will take heart from this,” the ecstatic 38-year-old told reporters outside the courtroom at the Kuala Lumpur court complex here.
In his ruling earlier, magistrate Mohd Faizal Ismail said the prosecution had failed to prove that Bilqis had hurt anyone by her actions, adding that her testimony made previously has been consistent. Read more
Source: The Star Online
WhatsApp – EPA file pic
JOHOR BARU: Police have arrested a man for sharing a crude photo insulting the Prime Minister in a WhatsApp group.
Johor police chief Comm Datuk Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd said that the man was arrested in Kampung Tunku, Petaling Jaya at around 12.15pm on Saturday.
He said the suspect, who goes by the name Pa Ya, had uploaded the photo into a WhatsApp group called “Bicara Politik Melayu”.
“The photo has insulted and hurt the feelings of Malaysians,” he said in a statement on Saturday.
The suspect’s Samsung G5 mobile phone was seized as well, he said.
A police report was lodged at 3.35pm on Friday following the posting of the photo.
Comm Wan Ahmad said that the suspect would be remanded at the Johor Baru court on Sunday for investigations under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 which carries a maximum fine of RM50,000 or up to a year’s jail, or both upon conviction. Read more
Source: The Malay Mail Online
Dancer Bilqis Hijjas speaks to reporters outside the KL Magistrate Court, July 1, 2016. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
KUALA LUMPUR, July 1 ― Dancer Bilqis Hijjas was today acquitted of insulting behaviour by dropping yellow balloons during an official event attended by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and his wife in a mall last August.
Magistrate Mohd Faizal Ismail said the prosecution failed to prove a prima facie case against Bilqis, ruling that it had not shown that her action with the balloons amounted to “insulting behaviour”.
He pointed out that the definition in the dictionary by the country’s leading Malay-language authority Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka requires an alleged “insult” to be aimed or felt by a person, but pointed out that no one had been insulted by Bilqis’s actions. Read more
Source: The Star Online
Facing the law: Syarul Ema Rena leaving the Sepang Sessions Court. Pic taken from The Star Online
SEPANG: A construction consultant has claimed trial to insulting the Prime Minister in a foul-mouthed Facebook rant over the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement.
Syarul Ema Rena Abu Samah, 35, was accused of posting the insulting comment on a Facebook profile, Ratu Naga, on Oct 6 last year.
The comment mentioned Najib Tun Razak and the members of parliament for signing the agreement, saying it amounted to selling out the country.
The post, reproduced in the charge sheet, featured a slew of slurs, even quoting Langkawi legend Mahsuri, “kami rakyat Malaysia sumpah 7 keturunan tau!”.
According to the charge sheet, the comment which had the intent to insult another was picked up by Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commissions (MCMC) monitors on Jan 28.
MCMC deputy public prosecutor Faizah Mohd Salleh confirmed that the complainant in the case was an MCMC officer. Read more