DiCaprio says will return funds found linked to 1MDB (VIDEO)

Source: The Malay Mail Online

DiCaprio said he was cooperating with US authorities to determine if money had come from questionable sources. — Cover Media pic

DiCaprio said he was cooperating with US authorities to determine if money had come from questionable sources. — Cover Media pic

NEW YORK, Oct 19 — Oscar-winner Leonardo DiCaprio’s charitable foundation would return gifts or donations made to him or his ventures if they were found to have come from Malaysian wealth fund 1MDB, which is being investigated on money laundering allegations, his representatives said yesterday.

In his first comment on the multinational probe into the fund, DiCaprio said he was cooperating with US authorities to determine if money had come from questionable sources, according to the statement.

In July, a Hollywood production company was accused in a US civil lawsuit of using US$100 million (RM419.6 million) that prosecutors said had been diverted from the 1MDB fund to finance DiCaprio’s 2013 film The Wolf of Wall Street, in which he starred.

In a statement yesterday, DiCaprio’s representatives said he had first learned of the probe through press reports in July. Read more

Swiss activists barred from London premiere after telling DiCaprio to repay 1MDB funds

Source: Asian Correspondent

British and Malaysian activists holding up a banner telling Leonardo DiCaprio to repay stolen Malaysian assets at Leicester Square in London on Saturday, Oct 15, 2016. Source: Bruno Manser Fonds

British and Malaysian activists holding up a banner telling Leonardo DiCaprio to repay stolen Malaysian assets at Leicester Square in London on Saturday, Oct 15, 2016. Source: Bruno Manser Fonds

ACTIVISTS from Bruno Manser Fonds (BMF), the Switzerland-based rainforest charity that has been pressuring Leonardo DiCaprio over his alleged links to the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) controversy, were denied entry to the London premiere of the Hollywood actor’s climate change documentary on Saturday.

BMF campaign manager Johanna Michel and executive director Lukas Straumann reportedly had valid tickets to attend the event at London’s Leicester Square but were told by security officers and the Odeon theatre’s box office manager that they were not allowed in.

“I was completely surprised when the security officer pulled us out and said we wouldn’t be allowed in,” Straumann said.

In a press statement later, they claimed the reason given to them was because they were seen holding a banner on Leicester Square calling on DiCaprio to pay back “stolen Malaysian corruption assets”. Read more

Aktivis Swiss desak DiCaprio pulangkan wang rakyat Malaysia

Sumber: FMT News

Oleh Raevathi Supramaniam

Bintang filem Hollywood itu berada di London untuk tayangan perdana dokumentari mengenai perubahan iklim dan turut dijemput ke sidang akhbar mengenai 1MDB anjuran Bruno Manser Fond. Gambar dari FMT News.

Bintang filem Hollywood itu berada di London untuk tayangan perdana dokumentari mengenai perubahan iklim dan turut dijemput ke sidang akhbar mengenai 1MDB anjuran Bruno Manser Fond. Gambar dari FMT News.

LONDON: Kumpulan aktivis berpangkalan di Switzerland, Bruno Manser Fond mendesak pelakon Leonardo DiCaprio memulangkan semula AS$25 juta yang diperoleh menerusi filem “Wolf of Wall Street” kepada rakyat Malaysia.

Kumpulan itu turut mendesak DiCaprio menarik diri sebagai duta keamanan Pertubuhan Bangsa-bangsa Bersatu untuk perubahan iklim.

“DiCaprio kurang layak untuk peranan seperti itu,” kata pengarah eksekutif kumpulan itu, Lukas Straumann yang mendakwa DiCaprio dan yayasannya menerima manfaat daripada pembabitannya dengan Jho Low dan Riza Aziz, menerusi sumbangan lebih AS$2 juta yang diterima yayasan itu.

“Dia berhutang dengan rakyat Malaysia akauntabiliti terhadap ikatan kewangannya bersama Jho Low dan Riza Aziz,” katanya. Read more

Human Rights Activist, Charity Demand Leonardo DiCaprio Return “Ill-Gotten” Donations

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Getty Images. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jho Low. Pic drawn from The Hollywood Reporter.

Save Rivers, which is active in Malaysia, and Ambiga Sreenevasan, recipient of the U.S. International Women of Courage Award, are the latest to speak out about money linked to a corruption scandal.

Leonardo DiCaprio dropped by the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday to present the world premiere of his latest environmental doc Before the Flood, directed by Fisher Stevens, to a packed audience at the Princess of Wales theater.

The film, which follows the Oscar-winning U.N. Messenger for Peace around the world as he sees the devastating effects of climate change firsthand, was warmly received, The Hollywood Reporter‘s John DeFore describing it as “well-intentioned,” noting the special access available to its star, who speaks to John Kerry, Barack Obama and Pope Francis.

But the very same day Before the Flood bowed at TIFF, another charity added its voice to a growing list of organizations and activists criticizing DiCaprio’s association with individuals connected to a major corruption scandal and called on him to return millions of dollars in donations made to his environmental charity.

DiCaprio has been the focus of intense scrutiny over the past two months after he appeared as “Hollywood Actor 1” in a major Justice Department filing relating to a billion-dollar money-laundering scandal involving controversial businessman Jho Low and Riza Aziz, stepson of the Malaysian prime minister and co-founder of Red Granite Pictures, which produced The Wolf of Wall Street, allegedly with money diverted from Malaysia’s 1MDB sovereign wealth fund.

The actor is also alleged to have accepted donations originating from 1MDB to his environmental charity, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, the focus of an exposé in THR questioning its ties to the scandal and lack of transparency. Read more