Stop all fake news charges pending review, says lawyers’ group

Source: Malaysiakini

All enforcement and prosecution under the Anti-Fake News Act 2018 should be stopped pending the outcome of a challenge against its constitutionality, said watchdog group Lawyers for Liberty today.

LFL advisor N Surendran in a statement said this in response to news reports this morning that a Danish national will be the first person to be charged under the Anti-Fake News Act for allegedly making a false claim against the police.

“I call upon the home minister and attorney-general to halt all enforcement and prosecution under the Anti-Fake News Act 2018 pending the outcome of a test case now awaiting hearing in the KL High Court,” said Surendran.

He was referring to a constitutional challenge filed by Malaysiakini last week against the legislation. Read more

Drop charges against Malaysiakini, says NGO

Source: FMT News

Article 19 says the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 is ‘vague and sweeping’ and in need of ‘urgent reform’. Pic from FMT News.

PETALING JAYA: Article 19 has hit out at charges against Malaysiakini’s CEO and editor-in-chief over a video the news portal had carried criticising Attorney-General Mohamed Apandi Ali for clearing the prime minister of corruption allegations.

Article 19 called on the government to immediately drop the charges against Premesh Chandran, Steven Gan and KiniTV, which had aired the video in question.

The NGO said the charges, which were made under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (CMA), underscored why the “vague and sweeping” legislation needed “urgent reform”.

“The increasing use of this law to target independent media and any online criticism of the government is seriously concerning, and also a clear violation of international human rights law on freedom of expression,” director of programmes David Diaz-Jogeix said in a statement today. Read more

Malaysiakini CEO claims trial to posting video on press conference about AG

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Malaysiakini CEO Premesh Chandran (pic) pleaded not guilty to the two charges under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia (CMA) Act 1998. Pic from DNA.

KUALA LUMPUR, May 15 — CEO of the Malaysiakini news portal Premesh Chandran was today charged with airing a video clip of a 2016 news conference about Attorney-General (AG) Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali deemed to be offensive.

Premesh pleaded not guilty to the two charges under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia (CMA) Act 1998 at the cyber court here.

He was also slapped with an additional two charges under Section 244(1) of the CMA in his capacity as director of the news portal’s video arm, KiniTV Sdn Bhd; similar to Malaysiakini chief editor-in-chief Steven Gan in November last year.

The video under the title “Khairuddin: Apandi Ali is not fit to be AG and he should quit immediately” was of a press conference held last July 27 by politician Datuk Khairuddin Abu Hassan was posted on the English and Bahasa Malaysia websites of KiniTV at different times. Read more

Can Media and Law Co-Exist?

Source: Bar Council

In conjunction with World Press Freedom Day on 3 May 2017, the Bar Council Continuing Professional Development and Malaysiakini are collaborating to organise this event to provide a platform for the fourth estate — comprising the press and citizen journalists and, by extension, people who generate everyday content for the public — to understand how Malaysian law regulates a key right enshrined in the Federal Constitution, ie the freedom of expression. The speakers for this event are representatives from both the legal community and media industry, who will examine and analyse how the exercise of the freedom of expression can be challenged, and how to safeguard this right in times of heightened political, religious and racial contestations.

Bos Malaysiakini didakwa di mahkamah kerana video bidas peguam negara

Source: FMT News

Disabit kesalahan, mereka boleh didenda RM50,000, penjara setahun atau kedua-duanya. Pic dari FMT News.

Disabit kesalahan, mereka boleh didenda RM50,000, penjara setahun atau kedua-duanya. Pic dari FMT News.

KUALA LUMPUR: Dua pegawai tertinggi portal berita Malaysiakini hari ini dihadapkan ke Mahkamah Khas Siber berkait muat naik sebuah video menunjukkan bekas pemimpin Umno Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan membidas peguam negara.

Premesh Chandran dan Steven Gan, pengasas Malaysiakini yang juga pengarah anak syarikatnya KiniTV, didakwa di bawah Seksyen 233(1)(a) Akta Komunikasi dan Multimedia 1998.

Syarikat KiniTV didakwa dengan 2 pertuduhan, manakala Premesh dan Gan masing-masing didakwa di bawah Seksyen 244(1) menggunakan jawatan mereka.

Disabit kesalahan, mereka boleh didenda RM50,000, penjara setahun atau kedua-duanya. Read more

No proof Soros foundation funding anti-government agenda, deputy home minister says

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Billionaire investor George Soros of Soros Fund Management, January 26, 2013. — Reuters pic

Billionaire investor George Soros of Soros Fund Management, January 26, 2013. — Reuters pic

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 12 ― The police have not found any evidence to support allegations that American billionaire George Soros was funding Malaysian civil societies to undermine Putrajaya.

Deputy Home Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said the Open Society Foundations (OSF) founded by Soros has been supporting environment-related programmes here for the past decade, The Star Online reported this evening.

“Police have not found any proof to show that OSF or NGOs in Malaysia are using foreign funds to organise activities that threaten the nation’s peace,” Nur Jazlan was quoted saying in Johor Baru.

However, the Pulai MP said the police will continue their investigations, adding that action would be taken against non-governmental organisations found to misuse the funds for political purposes. Read more

Amnesty International: Malaysiakini raid an ‘insult to freedom of expression’

Source: Malaysiakini

Global human rights movement Amnesty International has condemned the raid on Malaysiakini’s office yesterday by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

It said the raid is an ‘unwarranted attack’ and an insult to the freedom of expression in Malaysia, and the latest example of the crackdown on independent media in the country.

“This is pure intimidation and harassment of journalists who have been targeted solely for peacefully doing their work, which is to report the news.

“It is no coincidence that this is news the Malaysian authorities would rather suppress,” Amnesty International’s office for Southeast Asia and the Pacific said in a statement today. Read more

MCMC raids Malaysiakini office, seize computers

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Pic form Malaysiakini.

Pic form Malaysiakini.

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 8 — A six-man team from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) paid a surprise visit on news portal Malaysiakini’s office in Petaling Jaya, Selangor today, and confiscated two computers.

According to Malaysiakini, the MCMC raid was over two video clips it had uploaded in July on its website of a press conference by former Umno politician Datuk Khairuddin Abu Hassan that was critical of Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali.

Malaysiakini said it is being investigated under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act, for alleged improper use of network facilities.

It added that the Internet regulators had ordered the news outlet’s broadcast arm, KiniTV to remove the videos two months ago but was refused.

“We believe that there is nothing wrong with the rest of the content of both videos and removing them will impinge on our duty as journalists in reporting issues of public interest,” Malaysiakini’s editor-in-chief Steven Gan was quoted saying in an account of the raid. Read more

Lay off those who did good deeds with their foreign funding — Dr Kua Kia Soong

Source: FMT News

Dr. Kua Kia Soong, SUARAM advisor: "Lay off those who did good deeds with their foreign funding November 7, 2016 The government should lay off Malaysiakini and local NGOs that have been working selflessly for decades for Malaysian justice, democracy and human rights"

Dr. Kua Kia Soong, SUARAM advisor: “The government should lay off Malaysiakini and local NGOs that have been working selflessly for decades for Malaysian justice, democracy and human rights”.

It is pathetic that our beleaguered government should be trying yet again to demonise NGOs including Malaysiakini and Bersih 2.0 over their receipt of foreign funding, after the humiliation it received when it launched an all-out attack against Suaram in 2012, in concert with the mainstream media.

The government’s vindictive campaign against Suaram lasted for more than a year and involved no less than six government agencies that were ordered to investigate Suaram. Everyone could see that it was payback time for Suaram having complained to the French courts to investigate the suspected commissions in the RM7 billion Scorpene submarine scandal. Read more

Media freedom on back foot in Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Bangkok: A journalist has been sacked from a key Myanmar newspaper after writing about security forces allegedly mass raping villagers, as press freedom comes under increasing attack across south-east Asia.

The English-language Myanmar Times dismissed Scottish-born Fiona MacGregor, the paper’s special investigations editor, after public condemnation of her reporting on Myanmar’s western Rakhine State by the President’s Office and a complaint from the Ministry of Information.

The state is under military lock-down following deadly attacks last month on police border posts which have been blamed on Muslim Rohingya insurgents. Read more