Source: The Star Online
KUALA KRAI: He’s just nine, but Irfan Aiman Abdul Rahman is already learning how to prepare for possible floods next month.
On the last day of school yesterday, he and his schoolmates at SK Manek Urai, along with their teachers carried the tables, chairs and other furniture from the ground floor to the second floor.
“We are doing this because there may be floods again this year,” said a shy Irfan while moving a table upstairs with another pupil.
Last year’s December floods were so severe in Manek Urai that the water level at the school, which is used as an evacuation centre, reached the third floor.
The school lost most of its furniture to the flood. Even the staff room at the second floor and their computers were not spared.
So the new principal Muzli Mustapha decided this year that they would not be taking any chances. Read more
Source: The Malaysian Insider
A photo taken in Manik Urai, one of the worst hit areas in Kelantan from the floods that inundated parts of the east coast state in January this year. Many families remain homeless, staying in temporary shelters and tents until now.– The Malaysian Insider file pic, November 1, 2015.
The refusal of flood victims to be relocated to a new settlement provided by the Federal and state government is among the reasons for the delay in the construction of permanent homes for them.
State local government, housing, youth and sports committee chairman Datuk Abdul Fattah Mahmood said, so far, only about 300 of the victims had agreed to be relocated to new settlements provided by the government.
“The others do not want to be relocated for fear of losing their source of income,” he told reporters after the Kelantan Post Flood Coordination Committee meeting in Kota Baru today. Read more