Special committee set up to study security laws

Source: Borneo Post

KUALA LUMPUR: The Home Ministry has set up a special committee to review existing laws, especially those in relation to national security which are allegedly contrary to human rights, its Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said.

Muhyiddin said the committee, which was set up last week, is chaired by the ministry’s Secretary-General Datuk Seri Alwi Ibrahim.

“We will look at and review the laws that come under the Home Ministry. Among those raised are the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA), the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2015 (POTA) and the Prevention of Crime Act 1959 (POCA).

“Our goal is to determine in implementing domestic laws the people do not feel that they are being used  for political purposes, to punish certain parties due to differences in ideology and so on,” he said. Read more

Muhyiddin: Home ministry to review seven ‘unsuitable’ national security laws

Source: The Malay Mail

Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin speaks at the Department of Home Affairs in Putrajaya May 22, 2018. ― Picture by Miera Zulyana

PUTRAJAYA, May 22 — The Home Ministry will review seven laws relating to national security which are no longer suitable in today’s landscape, said the new Home Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

He said these laws were the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984, Sedition Act 1948, Peaceful Assembly Act 2012,  Prevention of Crime Act 1959 (Poca), Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (Sosma), Prevention of Terrorism Act 2015 (Pota), and mandatory death sentence.

Muhyiddin said the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam), non-governmental organisations and social activists would be asked to give their views on these laws.

“These laws will be reviewed and, if necessary, replaced. It will need a bit of time, but not up to five years until the next general election,” he told reporters when asked for the time needed to complete the review.

Muhyiddin was speaking at his first press conference as the new Home Minister after attending a briefing given by heads of departments and agencies under the ministry. — Bernama

Protest organisers meet with police

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Police had visited Bersih 2.0’s office in Petaling Jaya last week to interview the group, but later agreed to let the activists provide the statements today. ― Picture courtesy of Bersih 2.0

KUALA LUMPUR, April 2 — Five activist believed to have organised a protest outside Parliament last week went to the Dang Wangi police station today to give their statements for an investigation into their alleged violation of an assembly law.

The group included Bersih 2.0 director Yap Swee Seng, secretariat member Mandeep Singh, acting chairman Shahrul Aman Mohd Shaari, Suaram executive director Sevan Doraisamy and project coordinator Amir And Hadi.

Police had visited Bersih 2.0’s office in Petaling Jaya last week to interview the group, but later agreed to let the activists provide the statements today. Read more

Hundreds protest against government in new year rally

Source: The Malaysian Insight

The Malaysian Insight

Malaysians protesting against Prime Minister Najib Razak and his government in the streets of Kuala Lumpur, just an hour before the 2018 New Year celebration at Dataran Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur on yesterday. – The Malaysian Insight pic by Nazir Sufari, January 1, 2018.

HUNDREDS of Malaysians ushered in the New Year with a rally in central Kuala Lumpur against the Najib administration and demanded that petrol prices be brought down in 2018.

Protestors at the “Turun” rally flooded Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman in front of the Sogo shopping complex where they began to chant ‘Turun Minyak, Turun Najib’’ (bring down petrol prices, down with Najib).

The 500-strong crowd of mostly activists and politicians then started marching towards Dataran Merdeka at 11pm to the beat of drums.

The crowd marched peacefully and stopped about 30m in front of Dataran Merdeka where they were prevented from going any further by police.

After more singing and cheering, the group began to disperse at 11.45pm as part of the conditions set by police.  Read more

Street protest: Three activists need not enter defence for now

Source: Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 12 — The High Court here today has deferred its decision to summon three activists, including two assemblymen, to enter their defence against a charge of participating in a street protest, two years ago.

Judge Datuk Azman Abdullah arrived at the decision after finding that there were constitutional issues involved.

The three individuals are Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, 37, Semambu assemblyman Lee Chean Chung, 36, and special officer to the Batu Member of Parliament, Rozan Azen Mat Rasip, 40.

The deferment is due to an almost similar case involving activist Adam Adli Abdul Halim who was acquitted and discharged by the Magistrate’s Court here on Nov 27 of all charges of participating in the #KitaLawan rally two years ago. Read more

Opposition lawmakers, member seek to challenge constitutionality of Peaceful Assembly Act

Source: The Malaysian Insight

TWO opposition assemblymen and a party worker who were charged for violating the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA) by participating in a street protest two years ago, have applied to refer their case to the Federal Court on constitutional grounds.

Kuala Lumpur High Court judge Azman Abdullah stayed the proceedings today and said he would decide on December 13 whether the case would be referred to the Federal Court.

Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, 37, Semambu assemblyman Lee Chean Chung, 36, and former political secretary to PKR vice-president Tian Chua, Rozan Azen Mat Rasip, 40 were ordered to by the magistrate’s court to enter their defence in August.

They were charged under Section 4(2c) of the PAA for participating in the “Kita Lawan” rally in March 2015 to call for opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to be released and for Prime Minister Najib Razak to step down. Read more

Jingga 13 chairman Fariz Musa freed on charge with participating in street demonstration

Source: The Malay Mail Online

On September 8, 2015, Fariz Musa (second right) had pleaded not guilty to a charge of participating in the the street demonstration which started in front to the Sogo Complex. Pic by The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 ― The Magistrate’s Court here today discharged, but not amounting to an acquittal, Jingga 13 chairman Mohd Fariz Abd Talib @ Musa ,47, on a charge with participating in the  #KitaLawan street demonstration two years ago.

Magistrate Ahmad Solihin Abd Wahid made the decision after he was informed by the prosecution, conducted by deputy public prosecutor Raja Zaizul Faridah Raja Zaharudin, that the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC)  allowed the representation by Mohd Fariz, represented by lawyer Eric Paulsen, for a review of the charge against him.

“As such, the prosecution closes its case against Mohd Fariz,” he said.

Later, when met outside the court, Raja Zaizul Faridah said the representation was made because Mohd Fariz had diabetes and one of his legs had been amputated. Read more

Court of Appeal has no authority to hear legality of unlawful assembly

Source: FMT News 

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal today allowed the government’s objection that it has no jurisdiction to hear constitutional issues raised by four men convicted of violating the Peaceful Assembly Act.

A three-man bench led by Mohd Zawawi Salleh said the High Court had erred in deciding that Section 4(2)(b) of the Peaceful Assembly Act was a valid provision.

“We are not seized with the jurisdiction under the Courts of Judicature Act 1964 to determine if that provision is constitutional,” he said.

Zawawi said the case would be remitted to the High Court in Johor Baru and a case management would be held on Aug 16.

Government lawyer Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud explained to reporters that the High Court judge would have to send the case straight to the Federal Court to determine the constitutionality of the provision.

He said the case of the four men started in the Sessions Court and the High Court went on to decide the legality of the section, which was disallowed based on a Federal Court ruling. Read more

Political arrests: Paulsen disputes Zahid’s claim

Source: FMT News 

PETALING JAYA: Human rights lawyer Eric Paulsen has accused Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi of hiding behind technicalities in asserting that the Najib administration has never been politically motivated to order the arrest of activists.

Speaking to FMT, Paulsen said Najib’s government had not flinched from using technically non-security laws such as the Peaceful Assembly Act and the Sedition Act against opposition politicians and other dissidents.

Zahid recently compared the records of Prime Minister Najib Razak and former premier Mahathir Mohamad and spoke of political arrests under the latter’s rule while the Internal Security Act (ISA) was still in force. He was quoted as saying that no such arrests had been made since Najib became prime minister. Read more

Government appeal against Maria Chin’s acquittal to be heard on Oct 11

Source: FMT News 

PUTRAJAYA: The Federal Court will determine if it is within its jurisdiction to hear the government’s appeal against the acquittal of Bersih chairman Maria Chin Abdullah for an offence under the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA).

Government lawyer Hamdan Hamzah said the apex court had jurisdiction because it involved a constitutional matter.

However, Maria’s lawyer M Puravalen said since the matter came from the Sessions Court in Kuala Lumpur, the apex court had no jurisdiction to hear the case.

A five-man bench chaired by Chief Justice Raus Sharif has now fixed Oct 11 to hear the case. Read more