Poverty Line Challenge 2.0: Can you survive on low wages?
In conjunction with Local Democracy Festival 2016, SUARAM Penang is organizing “Poverty Line Challenge 2.0: Can you survive on low wages?”
To provide a platform for participants in understanding the life of poverty, experiencing living in poverty, and to create awareness among the public.
Anyone aged 18 years old and above is eligible to participate.
|15th July 2016 – 25th July 2016
|27th July 2016 – 31st July 2016
|4th August 2016 (9.00am)
||Report submission deadline
|13th August 2016
||Prize giving ceremony
Prize giving ceremony
Date : 13 August 2016 (Saturday)
Time : 7.30pm (to be confirmed)
Venue : to be confirmed
Awards and Method of participation
Each participant will receive a certificate of participation.
Category 1: Poverty Challenge
1. Best Involvement Award RM 300
The participant is awarded based on the involvement of the participants by experiencing the living of low income earners during the period of the program. We would like to see the participants’ effort in minimizing the other expenses. For example, we are encouraging participants to use public transport or carpool to work instead of using own vehicles. Moreover, we also encourage participants to reduce other expenses on accommodation, telecommunication, entertainment, etc. Also, we would like to see the participant’s effort in understanding the life of low-wage workers such as the problems faced by them, barriers that stop them from earning more money etc.
Method of participation
- Participant will have to commit this five-day poverty challenge from 27th July 2016 to 31st July 2016 by living their life as usual, but with some boundaries. Participants are only allowed to spend maximum RM7.50 per day or equal to RM37.50 during the challenge.
- Participants are encouraged to experience the working life of low-wage job such as cleaner, rubbish collector, porter in private sector for one or two day(s). Participants can experience low-wage job arranged by organizer (limited seats only), on first come first served basis. On the other hand, participants are allowed to find the job by themselves. (ps: Experience low-wage job is not compulsory, but additional marks will be added.)
- Participants needed to submit a report after the 5-day challenge.
2. Most Popular Award RM100
All the reports will be posted on our Facebook page and the report that receives the highest number of “LIKE” will be receiving this award.
Category 2: Interview section
Best interview Award RM 300
- Participants are required to interview low-wage workers (salary less than RM 1500) about their situation, wishes and the problems faced by them. For example, how do they live with such a low income? What are their feelings to live in such a tight budget? Do they take any initiative to improve their situation?
- Besides, participants can interview low-wage workers about their background, why they choose the low-wage job rather than a high-wage job? Did their family background affect them in deciding the job? Is it a norm for them to work in this kind of job for a few generations?
- Some say that people are poor because of laziness, skill-lessness, unintelligence, etc. What is their opinion regarding this saying?
- Participants are required to submit a writing report after interviewing low-wage workers.
For enquiries, please contact SUARAM office by phone at 0112-0844337/04-6582285(office hour: 9.00am-5.00pm) or by email at email@example.com. You may also contact us through our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/povertyeradicationmalaysia
Terms and Conditions
All participants are required to follow the listed terms and conditions below.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age and above.
- Participants are required to submit the registration form before 25th July 2016 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to SUARAM Penang, 91C-02-21, University Heights, Jalan Sungai Dua, 11700 Penang.
- Poverty challenge
- Participants are required to fully commit the poverty challenge for 5 days from 27th July 2016 to 31st July 2016. During this period, participants are allowed to spend maximum RM37.50 or RM7.50 per day.
- Participants are required to record all of their expenses including food, accommodation, telecommunication, transportation and entertainment throughout the 5-day challenge in Appendix “A”. The expenses record is included the pre-buy food and free food. Participants are encouraged to calculate the average price if the cost is shared with others.
- However, if the items were given by public, the expenditures need not to be recorded.
- Participants who spend more than RM37.50 are still encouraged to continue their challenge.
- Participants may experience low-wage job arranged by organizer, however, places are limited, by first come first served basis. Participants are allowed to find the job by themselves.
- Participants are required to write down your feeling, experiences and reflection throughout the minimum wage challenge according to the template in Appendix “B” in your preferred language, either in English, Malay or Chinese. (Participants are welcomed to use different form of documentation such as pictures and video)
- Participants are required to write down their feelings, experiences and reflections throughout the interview session in your preferred format, language, either in English, Malay or Chinese. (Participants are welcomed to use different form of documentation such as pictures and video)
- Participants may start to conduct the interview by anytime; however, they have to submit their report before 4th August 2016, 9.00 am.
- This category opens to public, including those who do not participate in 5-days poverty challenge. Instead, poverty challenge participants may selectively participate in this category.
- The deadline to submit the reports is 4th August 2016 9.00 am.
- The report can be submitted in softcopy through e-mail to email@example.com or in hardcopy to SUARAM Penang, 91C-02-21, University Heights, Jalan Sungai Dua, 11700 Penang.
- Participant will be disqualified if found cheating.
- The organizer reserves the right to amend the rules and regulations or arrangements relating to the program without prior notification.
- For more updates, please visit our event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/992968027490441/