Zonta Club of Kuala Lumpur Forum on “WOMEN AND THE LAW – Know Your Rights“
Date : Saturday 22nd October 2016
Time : 9.30 am – 4.30 pm
Registration : 8.00 am – 9.15 am (Welcome coffee/tea and snacks)
Venue : PULLMAN HOTEL, 1 Jalan Pantai Jaya, 59200 K.L.
Fee : RM250 per person (on or before September 30,2016); RM300 per person (after September 30, 2016)
Mode of payment : Please bank in to “Kelab Zonta Kuala Lumpur”
Acct no: 564276816601 Maybank TTDI
The forum on “Women and the Law – Know your Rights” is a full-day programme where we hope to create awareness on the status of women’s rights in so far as it has been provided for and achieved to date within the context of the laws in Malaysia. We hope to stimulate healthy discussion on the related issues so that women in general know and understand their rights within the Law.
The Guiding Principle of Zonta International, its Districts and its Clubs is that Women’s Rights are Human Rights, essential for the development of all People. Zonta International endorses the values expressed in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Topics for Discussion
- CEDAW RECOMMENDATIONS AND MALAYSIA: are we on track? – Shanthi Dairiam
- WOMEN’S RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS – how true is this maxim? – Dato’ Malik Imtiaz Sarwar
- DO MUSLIM WOMEN’S RIGHTS DIFFER FROM HUMAN RIGHTS? – Rozana Isa, SIS
- WOMEN’S RIGHTS IN THE FAMILY: what happens when there is ‘trouble in Paradise’? – Honey Tan, Tan Law Practice, KL
- RIGHTS OF THE INDIGENOUS WOMEN – have they been compromised? – Centre for OA Concerns
- MARGINALISED WOMEN, THE SICK AND THE INFIRM – are their legal rights given due recognition? – Lyana Khairudin
- ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IN ENSURING WOMEN’S RIGHTS ARE PROTECTED – KPWKM
Moderator: Puan Hendon Mohamed, Malaysian Bar Council
About Zonta Club of Kuala Lumpur:
Zonta Club of Kuala Lumpur, currently the only Zonta Club in Malaysia, was registered with the ROS in 2011. The Club is a Charter Club of Zonta International (ZI), a 97-year-old organisation, which has its headquarters in Chicago, USA.
Zonta’s focus is on Empowerment of Women and Girls through Service and Advocacy. The membership of Zonta International has now expanded to 30,000 in 66 countries since its inception in 1919. Zonta International has official relations with the United Nations as an NGO. Members of clubs of ZI are women in leadership positions, professionals and executives (please refer to ).
Zonta International, its districts and its clubs are non-partisan and non-sectarian.